Theiving Scum!

Mally

Had our (mine and my brothers) tackle shed broken into last night, they took my brothers Box, and rod bag and it looks like they have taken reels etc out of my box and put them into his, they took his rod bag also.

What has pi**ed me off more is that only my mum was home, I'm at work, My dad's at work and my Brothers away at college, so she has had to deal with it all by herself!!

they cut the locks off the shed, they couldn't have got in from the front of the house cos the dogs would have heard them and started barking, gaurenteed, also there are about four security lights that way and they would never ahve got past them, it looks like they have come through the garden of the bugalow that backs onto our yard and jumped the dyke and come up to the sheds, they also nicked my mums bike but left my dads tackle and the rest of the bikes which were all in the same shed as my mums bike!

i'm gonna have to go through all my stuff now and see what they have took, i had a brand new john wilson avon/quiver stood in the corner of the shed, I really hope they havent taken that!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Its blunt, but dont get your hopes up on seeing this gear again. It will either go south or North an end up on car boot sales :mad: .

I worked in a tckle shop until this may and we would weekly get 3 or 4 insurance claims.

Another annoying thing, is that it will probably be someone that knows you go fishing, and is bound to be very close to where you live. :mad:

Just a point, dont put tackle in the shed. I have nearly £3000 worth of gear, and its all kept in the house. If that was left in the shed and stolen, i would simply give up fishing, as its took me many years and alot of money to get top of the range stuff.

Once again, sorry to hear of your loss.

Lee Wood

My anglersnet gold award winning website:www.fishyworld.co.uk

havent you heard of precautions :mad: its not the 1950`s anymore you cant go out and leave your front door open anymore :mad: take it as a lesson

make it very hard for people to take your stuff ,we shouldnt have to, but reinforce your sheds ,our old next door neighbour had his stuff nicked ,they took the roof off his shed.

we all know how much it costs for decent locks and hasps (i mean decent ones that cant be cut),but dont forget the hinges use tamperproof screws (mine go through the existing frame into another made of 2"x2" wood )and make sure the pins cant be knocked out .the doors are double skinned .there are no nails holding my shed together all fixings are 4" screws including the fixing to the floor and roof .the windows are siliconed into the frame with 3 1" bars that run the length of the shed across the windows and wall.and lastly a very noisy alarm (2 for about £8 from argos) are mounted on the door + a very nasty surprise if they try to saw the bars (i was an electronics tech)

we all know its bolting the door after the horse has bolted but this is a question of survival no one will help you so protect yourself .

camera`s are very cheap some have intruder sensors that sound a buzzer in your house when activated and ofcourse floodlights .

there is no real excuse nowadays if you put yourself in the situation that your only defence can be cut off probably a cheap chinese lock bought for a quid in a pound shop on a bent iron hasp.

get the largest hasp you can afford then spend £50 on a real padlock .only a disc cutter will open these even the biggest bolt cutters will fail.

learn from your loss, next time it wont happen.

turn your house into fort knox as well,deadlocks, hinge pins and lock spreaders on the front and back doors ,bolts on the windows etc.it may seem over the top but think when was the last time a copper walked past YOUR door.

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters,

The house etc is very secure, there are a total of four movenent activated floodlights that you have to pass to get to the sheds, you would never pass the house without alerting the dogs who would then bark the house down, the only thing we forgot to think of was someone coming in from the agarden tha backs onto ours, we cant force them to put security lights etc up! It wasnt a cheap padlock either, it was an abloy, the best. you can only get a key cut if you have the certificate to prove you bought the padlock!!

The sheds will be more secure from now on though!

[ 10. August 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Mally ]

but it was cut off :confused:

Dscf0001.jpg

there is no room to cut this one off when it on its hasp nor room for levers ,disc cutters or bolt croppers :)

and its drill proof as well

[ 10. August 2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I'll give all of you a warning...make sure you know who knows where you keep your tackle.

I had a load of gear stolen from the back of my transit, only the fishing tackle went, no tools(worth real money) One tackle box was left and this only contained boots and a jacket...not worth anything.

So who knew what was in the van? who knew that the only door not alarmed was the back ones? Who also knew that if someone looked out of their window and saw Dens tackle being removed they would think it was him off on another early morning trip?

Could it have been someone who knew me? I am certain it was, and fairly sure who it was as well.

I sold the transit and bought my Fiat and the first thing I did was fit alarms on ALL doors. I also fitted a strong hasp and plate and one of the padlocks that Chesters showed. No way you can cut them quickly, BUT, one day I forgot to snap the padlock shut and drove off and lost it! So I utilised a cheap padlock that I had as a spare in the glove box.

I went fishing and met the guy I suspected of the first theft in the car park, we chatted and no doubt he sussed out my cheap padlock. A couple of nights later my alarm went off at 02.30, the thief ran off, leaving a cut off padlock but my tackle was saved.Whoever it was came prepared with the right equipment to get into my van, whoever it was also passed by two other vans , both full of tools and plumbing equipment, bit obvious if you are trying to sell that stuff from the boot of a car, not like "just selling a bit of old tackle for a few quid!"

So trust no one, especially if they are long term unemployed(several years) and "do the boot sales" and do a bit of work for cash in hand!

Boot sales, why are there not police at every one, asking every one where the stuff they are selling has come from, specially the guy !just selling a bit to raise a bit of cash"

Beware, trust NO ONE

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic