Why float fish?

tommo666

yep the quiver is defienately my favoured choice.... i think its a better feeling wen u see ur quiver banging the whole way round..... but underwater snags can be a bit of a problem wen legering. CAGE FEEDER STYLE

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

A question for you float gurus - do you ever use a float for suspending a bait mid-water?

Absolutely. At one of my regular venues I'll be float fishing 4-5 feet deep maximum (coming up to about 18 inches to 2 foot if that's where the fish are), at a point where the water is about 20 feet deep. I always use a crystal waggler, usually with the shot around the base of the float to catch 'on the drop', only moving one nearer the hook if I'm getting a lot of small silvers. Legering is all well and good, but it's only one more tool at our disposal.

Tight lines Posted Image

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I would generally say I fish high in the water with floats. It's only when tackling annoying species like Roach, do I find myself sliding floats up and down in search of the perfect depth..blah de blah.

Today, I was float fishing for perch with about a 2 foot hooklength and most of the fish were taken on twitched lobs.

BTW....Andy_1984 caught a 2lb perch (A PB) today along with another shedload of fish. He's a flippin' expert already.

I did alright too. I caught a few fish just shy of the magical 2lb figure on homemade spinners but the biggie for me came close to the end on a twitched lob. It went just over the 2lb mark.

I dunno how many we caught today, so don't ask but the whole point of all this is that float fishing is the shiznit in certain conditions and for us today, it was THE killer method.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

even when ive two out on alarms i need to be looking at the tip of a waggler! watching it bump and lift with all the roach and rudd in a frienzy! and the watching it just sail away!

or sail into nothing making u miss strike!

just keeps u switched on and on ya toes!

ill even yous a float when its prctical sea fishing!

cant beat it!

I don't know if I'm the only one who finds it comforting to know exactly where my bait is, while fishing. Once the ripples have subsided, the exact location of a legered bait is difficult to remember... is it right where those tench bubbles are coming up, or should I move it?

Most of my floatfishing bites come 'on the drop', so I effectively get around half a dozen 'drops' per cast when floatfishing, simply by pulling the float in a bit, then letting the bait sink again. Legering can't let you use the wind or surface drift to carry your float into places where the fish are, but where it would be impossible to cast to, such as overhanging trees.

[ 30. September 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Pangolin ]

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

good point! untagling ya 3lb line from an over hanging tree always brakes up the monotany ;-]

Newt:

A question for you float gurus - do you ever use a float for suspending a bait mid-water?

Floats are generally used two ways, the first way is to suspend the bait off the bottom, this is generally used for fish that feed at varied depths such as roach, dace, rudd, chub, perch etc. although sometimes the bait is just tripping bottom and can be held back to make the bait rise in the water. A common method on rivers.

The second way, the float is used as a bite indicator with the bait hard on the bottom this method is generally used for bottom feeders like tench, bream, carp etc. A common method on lakes.

hmmmmmmm floats ar great! dont brake the spell IAN FG!

and a CAST spell is wot it is for me! i started with a float and ill finish with one i luv it!

and the whole float thing screams real fishing to me!

nerve raking and hart braking!

sole destroying and hero making!

when that float gose under! in my chest i feel the sound of thunder! and lightning in my head!

sorry got carried away then, luv float fishing

lol! can ya tell?