Do you eat cod?

Kappa

Cod?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat cod?

• Yes! Yum!
    • Try not to!
    • No

Would you like to expand on that? ie last year went sea fishing in the north sea with some who have fished the area for years and could see for my self that there just are not the fish there any more in any numbers. i am no expert but i listen to people who have sea fished for years, read about how the north sea fish stocks have declined and formed a view. That view is that harvesting of fish in the north sea is not being done in a sustainable fashion and i don't want to add to the problem. i am old enough to remember the cod wars of the 1970's. Looks like the icelanders were right and we were wrong.

Hello Peter

It's quite clear you are not an expert nor the people you listen to, it must virtually be impossible to go fishing in the North sea and not catch cod at the moment.

What few white fish boats that are left in the UK fishing fleet are fishing sustainable under strict quotas, days at sea limits, big mesh nets and a host of other enforced management tools, even the scientists agreed on an increase for the cod quota last year due to the increase in cod stocks.

Just for a moment think how a commercial fisherman feels when he has conformed to all the rules and regulations and landed good quality local fish only to hear some body like your self say "I'm not buying that it might be the last one" then turn round and buy some month old imported crap.

Do your taste buds a favour and buy local caught fish or even better get out there and catch your self a boat load like other anglers are doing.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your taste buds a favour and buy local caught fish or even better get out there and catch your self a boat load like other anglers are doing.

Couldn't agree more about buying local caught fish. I don't think you are talking about the poo sold in supermarkets though.

I think anglers must be getting one or two of them at the mo. :D

cast your eye over this link Wurzel, i think you have spoke about this guy before, cheers. :whistling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtm...earthlog112.xml

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

well apprently our sea section has given up trying to fish the north sea due to that declining catches and are booking all thier trips out of newhaven for this year. so i won't be trying the north sea again any time in the near future.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

well apprently our sea section has given up trying to fish the north sea due to that declining catches and are booking all thier trips out of newhaven for this year. so i won't be trying the north sea again any time in the near future.

The problem is some anglers are just not as good as they like to think they are.Good anglers are catching plenty and bigger fish than they have caught for years.From what I see on these forums most people dont even go fishing,they just like to sit and whinge about it.Get out there 2 or 3 times a week like we do and you will see that there are plenty of fish to be caught.

The problem is some anglers are just not as good as they like to think they are.Good anglers are catching plenty and bigger fish than they have caught for years.From what I see on these forums most people dont even go fishing,they just like to sit and whinge about it.Get out there 2 or 3 times a week like we do and you will see that there are plenty of fish to be caught.

fully agree ron

plenty of fish in the north sea if you really want to get yourself off the keyboard and go fishing

see

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...t-on-tuesday/0/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...ray-charters/0/

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/no...day-9th-june/0/

try any of the whitby boats, you wont see people moaning and groaning about the lack of fish

ps dont forget the charter skippers festival starting 27th june 5k 1st place for the biggest fish over 3 weeks

see http://www.wcsa.co.uk for details

krysb

The problem is some anglers are just not as good as they like to think they are.Good anglers are catching plenty and bigger fish than they have caught for years.

There is a class of codling and small cod at the top end of the channel. Nothing like it used to be. A few years down the line it might start creeping up to what it used to be if enough of them survive and grow.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Screw Whitby .... what about the other 7,750 miles of coastline ...............

Whitby must have received Wurzel's blessing!

<_<

Are you really as obnoxious and immature as you come across??

The cod fishing seems to be looking better at present than it has done for a long time now, and this is not just at WHITBY!!!!!

see the reports of anglers all over your south coast areas, catching plenty of good fish ( not just cod ) and tell me there is no fish to catch.

do you really think the other 7750 miles of coastline have no fish on them????? BO##OCKS

and as for your little playground sentences like "" screw whitby"" my little lad has more grown up things to say

isnt it about time you just stopped whining and winding people up??

its people like you that are causing most of these scare stories like ""THERES NO FISH LEFT"",

take a look at the catch reports and write about something that actually interests ANGLERS, not disheartens them

Bit tetchy, Crispy?

Another manic Monday? ;)

Playground sentences? Your little tete e tete is pretty full of them. I'm just a bit tired of NE folks comparing their apparently, healthy fish stocks to the rest of the UK - as if we were were all on the crest of a wave.

Now that's crap; unfortunately there are those who (for one reason or another) want to disprove what most anglers, scientists, environmentalists and now even politicians (oh, dear!) are saying, regarding disappearing fish stocks due to commercial pressure and environmental destruction.

The cod fishing seems to be looking better at present than it has done for a long time now, and this is not just at WHITBY!!!!!
- Crispy

I'm not not surprised at that, are you?

Your fleet (Whitby) saw off the abundant N Sea stocks 30 years ago - plaice, cod, herring.

Now the fleet has boogered off because they decimated your stock!

If your trawlers are gone (too many cod, eh?), shouldn't your fishing improve?

I'm sure the rest of the UK will see similar benefits in the near future (good news anglers!).

write about something that actually interests ANGLERS

Don't worry on that score, I do!

:)

Bit tetchy, Crispy?

Another manic Monday? ;)

Playground sentences? Your little tete e tete is pretty full of them. I'm just a bit tired of NE folks comparing their apparently, healthy fish stocks to the rest of the UK - as if we were were all on the crest of a wave.

Now that's crap; unfortunately there are those who (for one reason or another) want to disprove what most anglers, scientists, environmentalists and now even politicians (oh, dear!) are saying, regarding disappearing fish stocks due to commercial pressure and environmental destruction.

- Crispy

I'm not not surprised at that, are you?

Your fleet (Whitby) saw off the abundant N Sea stocks 30 years ago - plaice, cod, herring.

Now the fleet has boogered off because they decimated your stock!

If your trawlers are gone (too many cod, eh?), shouldn't your fishing improve?

I'm sure the rest of the UK will see similar benefits in the near future (good news anglers!).

Don't worry on that score, I do!

:)

N/E Folks??

having spent the first 22yrs of my life living and fishing no more than 5 miles away from yourself ( and probably on the same marks ), i find that comment quite amusing

it has to be said that the NE folks actually enjoy what ever form of angling they undertake, without feeling the need to whine about not catching anything,

it must be something in the water, but life seems much easier up here

crispy?????

by the way today is far from manic, hence spending too much time lokking at these stupid forums