Do you eat cod?

Kappa

Cod?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you eat cod?

• Yes! Yum!
    • Try not to!
    • No

my local chippy serves Sustainably caught haddock from iceland so we eat that. i don't want to add to the problem and if i don't know the source of the cod then i don't eat it.

For several years now a very large percentage of cod in the countries chip shops has come from outside of the north sea. Given that our boats have no quota and cant afford to go to sea these days its highly likely you may never eat north sea cod again - despite its ever growing abundance.

As for me I would love to eat cod but it appears even the chip shops have fallen for it too and now serve friggin pollock as fish and chips (as I found to my disgust last week). Its a sad day when you ask for Fish and Chips in Whitby and you get a pollock - MAAAANKY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For several years now a very large percentage of cod in the countries chip shops has come from outside of the north sea. Given that our boats have no quota and cant afford to go to sea these days its highly likely you may never eat north sea cod again - despite its ever growing abundance.

As for me I would love to eat cod but it appears even the chip shops have fallen for it too and now serve friggin pollock as fish and chips (as I found to my disgust last week). Its a sad day when you ask for Fish and Chips in Whitby and you get a pollock - MAAAANKY

Not really. There are boats in the harbour most mornings selling freshly caught fish of various kinds and a van that goes round the villages selling fresh fish, so I try to avoid supermarket fish except for frozen calamari. Benefits of living in the med.

http://powercats.blog.co.uk - This is my personal boaty blog all about my Powercat 525 Evolution which I purchased brand new in February this year - There are lots of pictures and videos and some lovely underwater fish shots. Hope you like it.

I eat fish regulaly,I eat most things regulary Hence my size I eat and enjoy some of the sizable Cod that I catch, When Ive caught enough, I fish for somthing different. Rod and line fishing is a sustainerble method in my opinion. why would I put cod back then buy it to eat from a supermarket ? with a dubious proverdence, I enjoy most fish but never Kick the ass out of what I take home,Polock is a tasty fish, Ling is not bad but not a favourite Makes a fair Hake substitute in Spanish cooking though, Buy the way if you want to see an outragious over expliotation of a fishery Look at the Hake trawling clip that was posted on here six about months ago.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

my local chippy serves Sustainably caught haddock from iceland so we eat that. i don't want to add to the problem and if i don't know the source of the cod then i don't eat it.

It seems the whole population including you Peter has been brain washed.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Fortunately we have access to very fresh local caught fish and eat it two or three times a week.

When this includes cod , we tuck in. :thumbs:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Yes of course I eat cod 2-3 times a week all self caught of course it makes a nice change from the common bass.

You cannot in my opinion beat haddock or plaice but they are very thin on the ground in Yorkshire so its cod or bass.

Makes me laugh when chippys claim to be selling "sustainable fish" are they stamped with a mark or something? My goodness people are nieve I know someone who buys battery eggs and sells them as free range eggs - nice little earner.

I do, not often but sometimes i can't resist. I try to eat more sustainable alternatives like pollack or ling when I can, which is getting easier as more fishmongers carry them these days.

If you ask for cod the shop must serve you cod, under the trades discription act. But if you ask for fish they can serve anything usually coley.

These days the pieces you get in the chippy's ain't big enough to fill a hollow tooth so I don't bother!

Yes of course I eat cod 2-3 times a week all self caught of course it makes a nice change from the common bass.

You cannot in my opinion beat haddock or plaice but they are very thin on the ground in Yorkshire so its cod or bass.

Makes me laugh when chippys claim to be selling "sustainable fish" are they stamped with a mark or something? My goodness people are nieve I know someone who buys battery eggs and sells them as free range eggs - nice little earner.

Haddy for me too. Haddock beats wormy cod any day of the week.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I guess it`s a completely personal thing.

I like the occasional fillet or steak, but I don`t make a habit of killing every fish I catch. Of 41 cod between 1 1/2lbs and 3 1/2lbs I caught off my local beaches last year, I took 10 and returned 31 which I thought had a good chance of recovery, since they were lip-hooked and caught and returned in calm conditions. These fish swam away strongly after minimum or no handling.

Personally, I see no evidence that local stocks are impacted by rod and line hobby fishermen.

The more we can return, the less any impact can be.

I`m in Japan at the present and the cultural and philosophical differences in fish catching and handling are there for anyone to see. The average Japanese shore angler keeps absolutely everything without regard and with no size-limits limitations. Any not required for food are merely discarded on the deck, beach or harbour wall to suffocate and die. Some of the fish are barely 3 inches long.

I guess the similarity with some of our commercial fishing extravagances underlines my belief in conservation and total elimination of discards at home.

:schmoll:

It seems the whole population including you Peter has been brain washed.

Would you like to expand on that? ie last year went sea fishing in the north sea with some who have fished the area for years and could see for my self that there just are not the fish there any more in any numbers. i am no expert but i listen to people who have sea fished for years, read about how the north sea fish stocks have declined and formed a view. That view is that harvesting of fish in the north sea is not being done in a sustainable fashion and i don't want to add to the problem. i am old enough to remember the cod wars of the 1970's. Looks like the icelanders were right and we were wrong.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/