Why is it always our fault??

Alan Fawcett

Hi All

This was posted on the MD forums by Webbo, I thought you might like to have a look at it.

Perhaps they have an employee called Ms Thom

Lead strikes down 100 swans

SWAN rescue centres in Worcestershire are being inundated with birds suffering from lead poisoning as a result of illegal fishing.

Wychbold Swan Rescue and the Bishops Wood Rescue Centre have treated more than 100 swans struck down by the poisoning.

Eight swans were taken to Bishops Wood Rescue Centre on Saturday.

"It's quite a concern to us that there are so many," said Edward Bird, who runs the centre, near Stourport-on-Severn.

"We have had 18 birds since the start of this month, all from the Worcester Bridge area.

"It's a no fishing zone there so we can't understand why so many are being poisoned.

"I work full-time but I manage to get a look on the way to work to see if there are any in trouble.

"We have to give them a course of injections to neutralise the effects of the lead but it can take quite a long time for them to recover."

The centre has collected three dead swans from the riverbanks, all believed to have suffered chronic lead poisoning.

"It just seems very odd that there are so many in such a short space being taken ill," said Mr Bird.

"You do the best you can for the birds but when you get large amounts like this it takes a lot of time and effort to get them treated.

"We started seeing birds with lead poisoning in September but this month has been particularly bad."

Jan Harrigan, who runs the Wychbold Swan Rescue centre, claims anglers illegally fishing along the banks are to blame for the rise in numbers.

"We've got 80 swans in at the minute all with lead poisoning," she said.

"It's from fishing tackle. I've seen people fishing there, although it's a no fishing zone - but people do cheat.

"I don't challenge them because how am I supposed to be down the river and looking after those at the centre?"

She said they had carried out post-mortem examinations on four birds that had died from lead poisoning over the weekend.

The link for the article is HERE

maybe a letter or two is in order??

Ohhhhhh Peterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its time for you to write another letter

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it is impossible to think that the lead may have something to do with the shooting fraternity (NO I AM NOT ANTI). If post mortems have been carried out then they should have a positive answer as to the type of lead causing the problem. These people are always too quick to put the blame on anglers. If they see people fishing illegaly why don't they inform the EA?

When you consider the amount of lead required to poison 100 swans I really do think they should be looking elsewhere. But then again, I am only a simple old man.

Since the diet of most adult swans is mainly vegatation with some insects and fish spawn in season, I'd strongly suspect the overall enviornment and agree that a call to the EA would be in order. But to have a survey done to find out where the lead poisoning is coming from.

At a guess, an industrial poluter somewhere upstream of the area. With those numbers, not at all likely to be anglers or shooters.

And the article wasn't detailed enough but there are other heavy metals that will mimic lead so one wonders if they have done proper testing to see exactly what is harming the birds.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The SRC is I understand, one of the more extreme centres and centre for centre reports more leaded swans than any.

I take it that they have been to the stretch of river with a metal detector and ID that there is a high level of anglers lead present in this “no fishing” area that is cheated on?

Errr! Thought not!

they said they had carried out post-mortem examinations on four birds that had died from lead poisoning over the weekend.

Who carried out the tests for lead poisoning then, given that the implication of this text is that, it was known before the birds died?

The centre?

What were the blood lead level counts then?

Did they find any leadshot in the gizzards?

Were the post-mortems independently witness and verified?

Just some questions for you to think on for now!

phil h.

I couldn't believe at the time that we were conned out of using lead.You would think that now they would at least have the decency to leave us alone.

As my old Dad used to say"there ain't no justice"

Can I assume that some organisation, the NFA perhaps?,will issue strong denials that this is anything to do with anglers or is that to much to hope for?

I don't think it does any good to go into denial. If anglers are using lead shot then they should be stopped. I think if angling worked with people like this and used it as an opportuninty to promote angling as the conservation sport it would only be for the benefit of the sport. It just seems that at times like this us (and every other sport for that matter) just closes ranks and mutters about scientific evidence etc.

Angling is not just about fishing, its about preserving the enivironment around which practice. This lady may be misguided, but she may also have a point that would be in out interest to react to.

Dexter

Angling does work with groups like swan rescues etc, but as always we recieve no recognition for it.

Anglers are an easy target & i would happily make the assumption that the people making the claims are all supporters of Peta or a similar group.

It will be just about impossible for any angler to use lead shot now-a-days as it isn't available & hasn't been since the eighties.

Shotgun cartridges on the other hand are still packed with lead (i've fired enough), so "going into denial" is a good thing in my opinion, at least we may have the chance of proving to the general public that we aren't to blame, after all how can we be at fault if we can't get lead shot??

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them

Go on Alan, you can write. I'll leave it in your more than capable hands.

I believe that I'm right when I say that research already shows that swans pick up lead from naturel elements as well as leaded petrol, shot guns and anglers. But we don't use lead, many shooters don't now use lead and boaters don't use leaded petrol. So, where does all this lead come from?

Maybe the NAA should show some initiative and ask for funding from constituent bodies so as to fund relevant research to clear our name once and for all.