Trotting with pellets

tiddlertamer

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello TT nice to hear from you.

I’m pretty one dimensional too, I’ve no confidence in trotting anything that doesn’t wriggle. I have caught chub on trotted luncheon meat and grayling on corn but not in as many numbers as maggot.

Hiya Rusty

An interesting point you make about not trusting baits that don't wriggle. One I have sympathy with.

But whenever reading about fishing and the use of casters, I see that authors descibe them as catching a better stamp of fish than maggots.

Maybe pellets could do that too?

I suspect casters may better resemble the natural baits that fish normally eat though...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

A friend got me access through the Civil Service Anglers Association.

You are then! I thought so, I edit the bulletin.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I've fed pellets when stalking chub and barbel, and they are definitely strongly attracted to them.

Have you used pellets as hook bait? And trotted them?

Thanks for any input you can give. Conditions are tough enough at the moment. I need a bit of confidence!

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

You are then! I thought so, I edit the bulletin.

Do you run features on record bleak captures?

Just kidding! :)

It looks like a cracking water, what with the weir and all.

With the right tactics, I'm sure big fish will entail.

Tight lines.

And happy writing and editing! :)

Ive trotted with pellets (8 and 10mm banded on the hook). Because they sink fast, they can be quite a good bait in the fast water in summer for barbel. But i've never tried them in slower water at this time of year.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

But whenever reading about fishing and the use of casters, I see that authors descibe them as catching a better stamp of fish than maggots.

Maybe pellets could do that too?

I suspect casters may better resemble the natural baits that fish normally eat though...

Yes those authors are probably right but with me it's purely a confidence thing. I haven't caught much in the past so I don't try it very often so I don't catch much and so it goes on in a downward spiral. What I should do is set aside a few sessions for different baits and stick to them (without taking maggots)

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Have you used pellets as hook bait? And trotted them?

I've used them as hookbait, but I have not trotted them. More usually, I feed the very small pellets with hemp and fish a lobworm on the hook, using a link leger. I just find them very good for drawing fish out of cover.

I haven't tried trotted pellets TT but I'm sure they'll work ok, as long as you use the right size. Take a selection and experiment. They are very filling though, so I'd go light with the feeding.

As a back-up, don't forget about bread. An old loaf for mashed bread groundbait and a fresh loaf for flake hookbaits will cost less than a couple of quid, and will mean you can afford to experiment with the pellets without worrying too much whether they work or not. A few pellets in the mashed bread and a pellet on the hook might be worth a try too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I know bugger all about "modern" pellet fishing! Strange really as trout pellet for carp caught me a lot of fish and tench as well!

I know anglers use them for roach on the Medway at Tonbridge as Ive often watched them so they are not just a bait for the commercials.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!