Cheese Gromitt

chesters1

You should try this Chesters...

My friends sampled this at a local tasting event and loved it. Mind you, their samples were all just teeny tiny bits on cocktail sticks, but I trust their judgement. When I say teeny/tiny bits, I mean it. It wasn't just lumps of cheese, but just the tiniest scrapings...

However, as we are all lovers of very strong cheeses, they liked what they sampled, so bought some, and kindly saved it until I went round for a long weekend so I could share the experience with them.

We were really looking forward to it...dinner was over, the table was cleared and the wine was going down nicely when it was brought to the table with great ceremony...we really enjoy a good cheeseboard, and this was going to be the highlight of the evening...

5000108477_b851d69fb0_z.jpg

It looked the part, carefully wax packaged and labelled...knowing the very strong and flavoured cheeses we'd tried and loved in the past, I couldn't wait. The wax wrapping was carefully removed, and we each took a small portion as a taster....I really wish I'd had my camera set up to record the facial reactions!

I can honestly say that it was the vilest, foulest and most obnoxious foodstuff I've ever come across! We all tried, but not one of us could face more than the tiniest morsel without grimacing. The open pack has since been in the garage for the last six months, double wrapped and it still stinks! I've never, ever found a cheese I couldn't eat, but this was a first for me.

Janet

was it the same taste or had it gone off? thats the trouble with an unknown taste ,i wonder how many people never eat something all their lives because their first sample wasnt what it really tastes like :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'l keep a look out for it at sainsbury ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

One of the delights of working in Holland a few years back, was the prevalence of kaas winkels (cheese shops).

The variety of cheeses available was staggering, but no cheddar to be found anywhere!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Are you sure that you don't have any Norwegian blood in you. That sounds just like a Norsky home brew recipe.

It does have Norwegian on the other side of the packet.

Ran it through the vinometer, despite having stopped the fermentation with campden tablets its reading 30% abv.

Had some instead of rum & coke last night. Couldn't type anymore.

I can honestly say that it was the vilest, foulest and most obnoxious foodstuff I've ever come across! We all tried, but not one of us could face more than the tiniest morsel without grimacing. The open pack has since been in the garage for the last six months, double wrapped and it still stinks! I've never, ever found a cheese I couldn't eat, but this was a first for me.

Back in 1987 we visited Scandinavia - toured it from southern Norway, through Sweden and Finland, right up to the Russian border.

There was this cheese in Norway - forgotten its name, but it is made from boiled milk, and tradition has it that it has a special maturation process.

Apparently Norwegian milkmaids used to sleep on straw paillasses in a loft above the cowshed, so they were on hand for the early morning milking. The cheeses were thrust into the straw so that for at at least part of the time they were close to the bodily warmth of the (possibly) buxom young milkmaid (Down, Chesters!) and so the cheeses matured.

The cheeses were a sort of repulsive-looking brownish yellow, but nevertheless we bought one.

Next meal we tried it. Just one mouthful - instantly spat out. To say it tasted like Sunlight soap is to malign that admirable and serviceable substance, The cheese was so vile we threw the remains far into the conifer forest, voicing adverse opinions on the morals and personal hygiene of the milkmaid concerned.

You could say we swallowed the story, but not the cheese.

Later in the trip we encountered a second uneatable substance - called "Fennar Lar" which was alleged to be smoked mutton. Granted, whatever it was had been smoked, but seemed to have been allowed to go rancid first.

We formed a new theory as to the movements of Vikings westward - they did so, not in a spirit of adventure, but to get away as far as possible from boiled-milk cheese, Fennar Lar, and unhygienic milkmaids.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Yes some nordic quisine is a bit surreal. Did you try Lutefisk, perchance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

bluurp but i think our "native" lavabread also fits the yuk category ,yes some seaweed tastes ok but i think the welsh deliberately bugger theirs up .

can we eat foreign food? after all is it meant for humans? is it the reason our kids are turning into zombies? theres something in foreign food we haven't got an immunity to?

mind you you would be hard put to list food that hasn't its source from foreign climes is (went yodarish then)

Edited by chesters1

Yes some nordic quisine is a bit surreal. Did you try Lutefisk, perchance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

We saw and smelt fish (mainly cod and ling) being dried on enormous sloping racks. I have a picture or two of some racks. The result, I thought, would be ideal to sole one's boots with (by analogy with eel-skin boootlaces) but I didn't consider it a comestible. :)

We tried bacalhau in Portugal. That was bad enough.

IMHO the best treatment for cod is to obtain it fresh, fillet, skin, coat in beer batter, deep-fry, and serve with deep-fried chips. My local chippie does that to perfection.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I like salt cod and salt herring. In the Shetland's they make a kind of fish cake from salt herring and potatoes called 'hairy fish' which is quite delicious. I do like my fish and chipd though, but prefer haddock to cod.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote