Dubious weight

djfarth

Hi guys and gals

Are there any experienced pikers out there who could help put an approximate weight to this fish, it weighed 13lb 2oz on the scales but I dont agree, something must have occured in the process, same old story!!

I know the photos always make them look bigger but it would not move the position of my arms, im sad enough to have recreated the pose infront of the big screen in my lounge and measured the distance which was 44 inches from the hand chinning the fish up by my shoulder to the bottom hand which is oustretched towards the camera with my arm locked solid to support the weight, this does not include the overhang towards the tail or the snout. The close up photo shows the girth across the back, this was no skinny fish!

Ive caught 5 other doubles this season the biggest at 17lb 8oz and this fish dwarfed all of those. I did not want to keep the fish out longer than neccessary and double check the weight so got her back in the water.

Unfortunately I could not figure out how to attatch photos so heres the link to view the photos online (ignore the tidler, thats was my mates catch of the day!!)

https://cid-4b7995818f48edc1.skydrive.live....3;uMoy7xDdig%24

Dan

Thats a lovely looking fish. Were you deadbaiting for it? I would put it at over 13lb easily but that is just my opinion. It is hard to tell in a photo as you say. Pike can be quite hollow I have found.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Its hard to tell but pike can be hollow at this time of the year, it does look thin, guessing a river fish? Still a cracker though. Harsh, but i would have put it between 13lb and 15lb

A lovely fish and, if you believe Mr. Crabtree's (Bernard Venables') measurement/weight estimates then a 40" fish weighs approximately 20lb, a 43" fish 25lb and a 46" fish 30.5lb!

Looks like a minimum 20 to me and, I know it's difficult to tell from photos, but considerably bigger than that! Nice fish :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well looking at the fish and the relative sizes of it in relation to your own proportions I'd say the scales at 13lb odd were bang on

Its a longish fish but no depth and no width across its back so no girth, a long lean river pike in proportion to the scales weight I'd say

Take your scales & sling into a tackle shop to have them checked. I did when I had my PB barbel, luckily they were only an onze out.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Are you using Avon scales, as it is easy to misread them . 13lb in the orange is next to 23lb in the green.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I'd give you 20lb, or very close.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It's a damn sight bigger than 13lbs IMO. I've had a 22lber and that was 44" long.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...