okuma reels

CARPBOB3

nothing in black then ,in years gone by we used to use matt varnish on the rods to stop the "flash" nowadays with shiny reels and even a chrome coloured rods its forgotten ,how times change :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That again suggests they weren't originally made for the UK market as most others prefer coloured or silver (fish scaring) reels.

After all our market is tiny compared with that in the US.

It's interesting though that Shimano Baitrunners that were, I believe, developed largely for our market have always been black.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi Gerald, welcome to Angler's Net. Hopefully this will be the first of many posts.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Do any of the Okuma reels have a "full contact rotor" so that you can use your finger on the back to slow it down when the anti-reverse is off?

It's not easy to tell from the pics I've seen but it looks like some of them do.

I don't tend to trust clutches in the last stages of landing a fish and prefer to use this option on the rare occasions that I use a fixed spool reel.

ajp:

Do any of the Okuma reels have a "full contact rotor" so that you can use your finger on the back to slow it down when the anti-reverse is off?

It's not easy to tell from the pics I've seen but it looks like some of them do.

I don't tend to trust clutches in the last stages of landing a fish and prefer to use this option on the rare occasions that I use a fixed spool reel.

I couldn't agree more with the need for this feature, and in fact wouldn't buy a reel without it.

I use a clutch for lure fishing but otherwise usually backwind. With some skirted spoool reels protrusions on the flyer mean that you can't use finger pressure here to control the fish without getting your knuckles bashed.

Early skirted spool models were especially bad, although DAM ones were an exception, which is one reason I bought these as well as, later on, Shimanos. Luckilly I think design has moved on and most makers recognise that some of us backwind and thus offer the facility.

[ 24. November 2002, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

hey chesters thay do a black model its called "dynadrag" i have three.they are the cheapest at £19.99 only one bearing and are good reels,i can see the need to service a shimano at there prices. but at twenty quid a dynadrag is fairly disposable? though from the build i cannot forsee any problems. another plus is they are a lot lighter than most baitfeeder reels,this sits well with modern lightweight carbon rods.unlike most of the overweights out there. :D

later guys i`m going fishing

ajp:

I am a little surprised,considering how all you Okuma owners rave about them that no-one has an answer about this. :( :confused:

Those who play fish off the clutch possibly won't know what we're talking about. I suspect others may not have followed the discussion as most reels at last seem properly designed for backwinding and don't have this problem.