dead swims

chesters1

WTF are you lot on about ???

Devout Hindus (and Sikhs I think) like their ashes to be sprinkled into a 'holy river' after death. That's what this request was about, defining a British river as 'hallowed', as it were. A bit like turning a small plot of India into a Christian burial ground for those who want a proper burial.

Seems to be a huge dose of racism slipping into this thread.

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

glenn,

it seems to me that some people these days can't make a joke without being accused of racism, it gets to me I'm afraid, :( re-read the thread and look hard for a racist comment, all you will find is sick humour :D and despair at this crazy country we live in, for goodness sake, whatever next?

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

eeerrr i cant see any racism :confused: i think the closest is my remark about red indians but that is a generalism i`m sure soix ,mohawks ,blackfoots etc could get annoyed to be lumped together ,hinduism,christianity and sikhs etc are religeons ,at the moment there is not any laws regarding religeon in this country ,so anyone reffering to racism earlier should get their fact rights before spouting off ,the post is about a river not a issue on human rights :(:D or a specific race :) now where were we :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

GlennB:

WTF are you lot on about ???

SNIP

Seems to be a huge dose of racism slipping into this thread.

cheers

Not at all. I would imagine all anglers would react with horror at any plans to introduce large quantities of human remains into a river regardless of the racial origins of said remains.A deceased and cremated angler or two is one thing, but to use the river as an alternative cemetary is quite another.

quote:

Not at all. I would imagine all anglers would react with horror at any plans to introduce large quantities of human remains into a river regardless of the racial origins of said remains.A deceased and cremated angler or two is one thing, but to use the river as an alternative cemetary is quite another.

They are actually requesting for the Aire to be allowed to be designated as an honorary tributary of the Ganges, in order to scatter the ashes of the dead upon it. This takes an enormous leap of the imagination, and I only wish the North Bank of the nene could be designated as an honorary tributary of the Hampshire Avon.

It would be a bit rich for anglers to complain about a few ashes being scattered in the water, when whole lines of match teams do their best to fill the river in with maggots, steak, luncheon meat, trout pellets and cat food every weekend, not to mention groundbaits consisting of fishmeal, dried blood and even pigeon droppings.

The end result might well be that there is more incentive to keep the river free from industrial pollution, as having your ashes scattered upon a steaming, grey scum is hardly a dignified way to go.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

" Sometimes one will see bundles wrapped in white cloth floating down the Ganges. These are bodies of children or those who died of high fever or small pox in the past. These bodies are not cremated because of the fear of harming Sitala, the goddess of smallpox."

"Burning bodies along the shores of the Ganges happens daily. The ashes are cast into the Ganges once the fires are extinguished. The doms are the 'Untouchables' of Varanasi and they are essential to the cremation ceremony. They can handle the corpses, which is a ritually polluting act for Hindus."

http://arts.lausd.k12.ca.us/history/india/India9.html

will we have to import some "untouchables" i expect there cant be many over here ,should we ask them ,whoops i forgot your not alowed to speak to them,they live around the funeral pyres feeding from their own barbeque`s

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

"Both the European Union and the British government are concerned about water pollution. Water quality is protected by many different laws. England's first water pollution act of 1388 made it illegal to dump animal remains, dung or garbage into rivers. Anyone breaking that particular law in those days could be hanged".

it doesnt mention humans but the hanging seems apt for any polluters

also ash contains phospherous (it used to be the way of making it) do we allow the contamination of our rivers with more ?

As I said before, be careful about making such statements. The amount of phosphorus involved is a drop in the ocean, (literally), compared to the amount of lead, nylon and fag ends dumped by anglers, which in turn is miniscule compared to the vast amounts of obnoxious rubbish dumped by the general public. Just try walking the banks of The Trent after a flood. As for animal remains and dung; that obviously rules out all maggots, worms and deadbaits, and farmers are obviously banned from keeping cattle in any field bordering a river.

Nitrates and pesticides are dumped into rivers by the ton, and a local cement works spews out dust and ash that covers cars for miles around.

[ 22. August 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.