Sweden

Swedish_Carper

Hey!

My name's Patric I'm 23 years old and from southern Sweden. I love everything that has to do with getting a fish to get on a hook. I've fished for most freshwater species in all kinds of waters over our whole country. I've also been carping in Bulgaria and Portugal and been to Thailand and felt the incredible power of the amazing species that are represted there.

But it's my hometown and the local waters that I love the most. They are many, natural and almonst no one fish them. I know great lakes and streams for carp, bream, silver bream, roach, ide, tench, chub, pike, perch, zander and more. I know waters that has the big ones and waters that has good quantity. And the nature around here is incredible.

But my purpose with this post was not to brag about how great the waters around here are :)

I want to know what you know about Sweden and the fishing over here!

Could you consider traveling to Sweden sometime in the future?

What kind of fishing do you think would appeal most british angler? What species? Big ones or many?

How big is big in Britain?

Some examples of weights for some species in my area of Sweden:

Roach max. ~3 common up to ~2 (my biggest 2,2)

Carp max ~40 common up to ~30 (my biggest 34,6)

Bream max ~11 common up to ~9 (my biggest 8,2)

Tench max ~9 common up to ~7 (my biggest 7)

Ide max ~7,5 common up to ~6,5 (my biggest 6,8)

Silver bream max ~2,5 common up to ~2 (my biggest 2)

The reson that I wrote this post is that fishing is my life and I would like to have it as my job. I then tought "who would be interested in the kind of fishing that I know and can offer". Then I wrote here :)

So what do you think? Could it possibly work? How should I do to reach out? What do YOU think would be a good strategy?

What would you want to experience if you went over here?

I'm really greatful if as many as possible would share their toughts! :)

(I hope you will have indulgence with misspellings and crazy built sentences :D)

// Patric Skoog, Sweden

Att leva är att uppleva

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Patric

Good to hear from you. and welcome to AnglersNet.

Those weights - are they in pounds ? (believable) or kilos ? (in which case a lot of us will be on the next boat) :D

I have made one trip to Scandinavia, back in 1988, and saw enough good waters and good fishing to make me want to return, but have not yet got round to it.

The sort of information that would be useful concerns the logistics of fishing. ie

Do you need a fishing licence ? 1. For freshwater ? 2. For game fish (salmonids) ? 3. For sea fishing ?

How easy is it to get a licence ? In other countries that varies from filling in a form in the USA (15 minutes) to a whole day's work in Spain (going to fisheries office, then to a bank, then back to the fisheries office, all in town centres with no parking spaces) - and in some countries you even have to pass an examination in their fishing and game laws!

Access to water - how much is privately owned, and how much is open to the public ?

For myself, I would be most interested in fishing for houting (Baltic herring) and burbot, both of which have been extirpated from the UK, and also for whitefish, ide and zander, but most British anglers might prefer the other fish that you list.

In which part of Sweden do you fish yourself ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Hi Patric

Good to hear from you. and welcome to AnglersNet.

Those weights - are they in pounds ? (believable) or kilos ? (in which case a lot of us will be on the next boat) :D

I have made one trip to Scandinavia, back in 1988, and saw enough good waters and good fishing to make me want to return, but have not yet got round to it.

The sort of information that would be useful concerns the logistics of fishing. ie

Do you need a fishing licence ? 1. For freshwater ? 2. For game fish (salmonids) ? 3. For sea fishing ?

How easy is it to get a licence ? In other countries that varies from filling in a form in the USA (15 minutes) to a whole day's work in Spain (going to fisheries office, then to a bank, then back to the fisheries office, all in town centres with no parking spaces) - and in some countries you even have to pass an examination in their fishing and game laws!

Access to water - how much is privately owned, and how much is open to the public ?

For myself, I would be most interested in fishing for houting (Baltic herring) and burbot, both of which have been extirpated from the UK, and also for whitefish, ide and zander, but most British anglers might prefer the other fish that you list.

In which part of Sweden do you fish yourself ?

Thanks for the answer!

Sorry, the weights are in pounds :) I don't think it is the size of the fish that is the most spectacular about our county, it's the nature and the atmosphere :)

You don't need a licenc for fishing the sea and the five biggest lakes (Vänern, Vättern, Mälaren, Hjälmaren and Storsjön). For most other waters you need to buy a licence and it's not very complicated. The licence for a lake or a group of lakes is often sold by the local shops or by persons that live near the lake. The procedure: Name and address --> Money, usually 20-70 sek (£ 2-6) ---> Done :) Takes around 5 min.

Some waters don't have licence and you then have to talk to the owner (often the same person who owns the land around it). Often it's ok and you can fish for free.

In Sweden we have "the right of common access". Which means that you are free to walk and camp where ever you want, as long as it's not in someones backyard :)

I mostely fish in the area called "Västra Götaland" on the southern side of Lake Vänern. From Gothenburg up to Karlstad.

post-21910-1295954977_thumb.jpg

Burbot is a common species in Vänern and lakes and rivers that are connected with it. I cought my biggest burbot (9,37 pounds) from the ice in one of the lakes that got close connection with Vänern. Fish over 10 pounds are quite common and fish over 15 pounds have been cought :)

// Patric

Att leva är att uppleva

When fishing abroad I tend to want to catch species that I do not have access to at home regardless of size, but I would have thought that the predator angling that Swedan has to offer may well appeal to more UK anglers.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

When fishing abroad I tend to want to catch species that I do not have access to at home regardless of size, but I would have thought that the predator angling that Swedan has to offer may well appeal to more UK anglers.

Thanks for the post! :thumbs:

If you went over here for the predators, which species would you want to target? What do you think would be most appealing, great size or quantity?

The predator-fishing in my area is good in both size and quantity. About 100m from my doorstep I have the river "Göta älv" where my pike-enthusiastic friends catch pike around 25 pounds every year :) Lakes with good quantity of pike are many. Väners is great for quantity-fishing for perch (0,6 - 1,5 pounds) and some small lakes in the woods holds bigger perch (3,5+ pounds). Zander is possible to catch in very large numbers on vertical jigging in some lakes and big ones also exist :)

Att leva är att uppleva

Thanks for a very informative reply. Fishing Sweden sounds very straightforward. Will certainly put it high on my list of places to visit.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

sweden sounds great not only the fish but its inhabitants sound great ,does that mean floods of spares for my volvo 240 will magically appear on my doorstep? :hug:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for a very informative reply. Fishing Sweden sounds very straightforward. Will certainly put it high on my list of places to visit.

Just contact me and my future business and I will take you on some unforgettable fishing! ;)

chesters1:

Volvo is chinese now a days ;) Trollhättan is the hometown of SAAB!

Att leva är att uppleva

Well I remember a friend who moved to Sweden caught a few really big crucian carp! But I don't think you have any thing in sizes we don't have here to really pull the big fish angler.The piking can be good but the 40's ain't climbing up the rod like some writers would have us believe!

Like Dales said I should think fishing for species we don't have here (like Burbot) would create some interest.

I also believe that there are several venues where Roach of a high average size can be caught in numbers (I used to write for a Swedish website that's now gone) That to would be worth travelling for.

The big thing though is fishing good looking venues that are not crowded along with the holiday aspect of being abroad and different culture (but not to different!).

As an ex guide I can tell you that one of the biggest reasons that travelling Brit anglers use a guiding service is simply to get a pointer to venues and all the administration (travel arrangements,accommodation,food,fishing licence,bait etc) done for them.Most resent being shown how to fish.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!