Playing fish with two hands on the rod

WickerDave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Phil,

You are my kinda guy Phil. Not a single mention of a double handle, double handed whatsisname even brushing close to its fulcrumed counterpart thingmie. And anyone casting from a beach when a rowing boat does the job perfectly without effort has surely got to be as mad as a balloon!! I mean come on, why spend a whole life time being a tee-total in agony when drinkie pooh's takes the pain away?

And carbon rods snap in half dead easy. Especially when ones caught the biggest thing in the river. Bottom!! And if this thread continues much longer, Pete Sharpe might show you all his!!

Regards,

Lee.

I think you are all missing the point. The anglers who I've seen stroking their rods with their outstretched fingers (steady on John S), aren't trying to exert more force, they're trying to caress the blighters in to the bank. No doubt it's all in keeping with their Zen philosophy and they congratulate one another on such a super duper display with a theatrical kiss on each cheek when the fish is landed. This is all followed by a little skip up the bank for celebratory glasses of Pimms.

On second thoughts I'll take that back, as one of the most guilty anglers in this respect is Stef Horak and the thought is too horrible to contemplate.

[ 07. April 2004, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Like I said before if it fits in with how you like to fish do it, there are times when you need to bully or persuade a fish to go where you want it to. The question that seems to be in doubt is how far up the rod you hold it, I have my style others have theirs and that's where I prefer to leave it, some catch, some don't, that's not to say that if I do, I'm doing it "right". It's all a matter of personal choice.

Watching TV, I see that while hauling in a pitiful 300lb Canadian sturgeon, JW uses a butt cup and both hands up the rod. This was clearly a one-hand-on-the-reel-while-rolling-up-a-fag-with-the-spare-hand situation.

What a wimp :D:D:P:rolleyes: :cool:

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.