Playing fish with two hands on the rod

WickerDave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone actually know anything for certain round here?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

In view of the above, and my previous comments, if you're dealing with a crap rod made on cheapo dodgy blanks and with a weak joint, and bearing in-mind that the greatest number of stress and shock-load fractures occur at the joint or in the butt section, I think providing a fulcrum higher up the blank is probably quite a good idea .. above the joint :confused: :D

DG

[ 06. April 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

Yup .... for certain, you definitely can't believe a lot of claims on fishing-tackle, especially lines

e.g. for certain, for decades tackle companies have been marketing lines with their strength declared as Breaking Strain instead of the correct Breaking Srength, Breaking Force or even better Breaking Stress .... which just goes to show that they haven't a clue about stress, strain or modulus (and I guess Mr Young is turning in his grave!)

.. and on the subject of rods, fulcrums (fulcra?) and the stresses (forces) exerted on a rod during use, for certain, there's a lot of bull written and claimed about the "stretch" i.e. elongation under load of lines.

...... and ... there's definitely a load of cobblers often written and claimed about the "modulus" of rods e.g. I have often seen written,viz.

"Our rods are made from special high-modulus carbon-fibre composite blanks based on IM6 "

.... well, I wonder what they think the IM stands-for :D

.... and for the method of measuring the Test-curve of a rod, and resulting marketing claims & hype, I think that they're also highly-questionable :mad:

In the end of course, it's down to the skills of anglers to catch fish despite the attempts of fishing-tackle companies to mislead and rip-off anglers .... and when I watched a guy, pole-fishing in a match, safely land a 21 lb pike that had grabbed his single maggot on his 2 lb elastic (I think it was) ... no trace wire, of course ..., then I realised that when you're as skilled as him, almost anything is possible.... whatever the TC of the rod or the BS or claimed stretch of the line :D

DG

[ 06. April 2004, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

DG wins this debate for pointing out that most things in angling are a load of old cobblers, andy gets a bonus mark for having a go at Den, after the posts Den's made to the evil pair (Lee and Peter Waller) you got off lightly mate, and seriousley, Den is that good!

All people called peter get a bonus mark 'cos I feel sorry for them having the most boring name beginning with a P, and John S gets sulked at for nearly stopping this thread just because of a few double entendres.

this has been one of the most entertaining threads I've read on here for months.........well done to the person who started it.....elton, give that man a prize!

ttfn

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Andy Macfarlane:

I definitely ate a worm once.

Yep, no doubt about it. I was three but my mum was there when I did it so I know it's true.

HTH

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

StuMac:

If you look at it that way, by moving your hand up the rod, you're increasing the moment arm of the load and so increasing the force. However, no matter how you look at it, you cannot exert more force by shortening a lever.

I quite agree. What I was trying to say is that all levers can be looked at from two points of view, the can-opener's or the beer can's. Lenghten the handle of the can opener and the can (your wrist) suffers. Increase the distance from the pivot to the point of the opener, and the opener (the fish) suffers.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Thanks for the replies/discussion. I'll have to try it, since there seems to be logic behind it.

Does this mean that in some fishing situations, e.g. near margin fishing at a commercial water, you'd be better off using a short rod, say 6', rather than a 12' rod?