Which angler are you!?

stooby

I have fished holes in the ground but only once.

I have fished waters that looked really nice but the drone of a nearby motorway or the antics of the locals either drove me mad or gave me homicidal tendencies.

I have been happy fishing for small fish in idyllic surroundings but only for so long as I need to have the challenge and mystery that you get fishing for specimen fish eventually.

Combine the two and, well . . . !

At the moment I'm a very, very happy No.2. Can you guess where I fish at the moment? :D:D:D

Steve C.

Hint: Ask a well posted namesake ;)

Trailer negotiations are currently going on although I think it is going to cost me a new ring :o

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of anglers have understandably alluded to the pleasure of fishing in beautiful, scenic countryside and I'll back that concept.

Up to a point...

Occasionally though, a spell of urban fishing really makes for an exciting challenge.

I have regularly fished a stretch of London's only chalk stream. And getting away from the main roads or the worst of the south London estates and the super-stregth lager, crack cocaine and heroin culture, big fish such as barbel, chub and carp are a possibility. As is walking away with all your gear intact.

I'll probably regret posting this on the internet when next time I go to my favourite swim and find someone in it, but there are hidden gems out there. Even in big cities...

Still, mark me down for a '1'.

No tiddler is safe. :)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

A lot of anglers have understandably alluded to the pleasure of fishing in beautiful, scenic countryside and I'll back that concept.

Up to a point...

Occasionally though, a spell of urban fishing really makes for an exciting challenge.

I have regularly fished a stretch of London's only chalk stream. And getting away from the main roads or the worst of the south London estates and the super-stregth lager, crack cocaine and heroin culture, big fish such as barbel, chub and carp are a possibility. As is walking away with all your gear intact.

I'll probably regret posting this on the internet when next time I go to my favourite swim and find someone in it, but there are hidden gems out there. Even in big cities...

Still, mark me down for a '1'.

No tiddler is safe. :)

Our local bit of free chalk stream fishing runs through one housing estate and around another but still offers great fishing and once you concentrate on the float going through then i find i kinda forget where i am anyway ,Still prefer wild bits of the Thames or Speen moors though so put me down as a 1 and a half .................

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Im between 1,2 and 4 to be awkward

I love match fishing as its in my blood and that pretty much takes up my angling time but i much prefer the matches that are held on quiet picturesque large waters in the middle of nowhere or at least have that feel about them .

When i do pleasure fish ( match fishing is also a pleasure ) i like to get completely away from it all on a natural water that i can see all kinds of wildlife and just chill back and target some crucians and tench on a float rod with a ledger rod out for carp or any big fish. I think that 1 and 2 rules my heart on this lovely topic . :)

I actually feel like I know a lot more about your fishing style now than before this thread, thanks for everyones comments and answers, it has made an interesting read! :) Its always nice to know what kind of angler I'm reading about or talking to :) !!

Cheers,

Stu...

Hi all,

It seems to me there are different types of anglers.. which one are you, or closest to of the options below

1) The angler who just likes to be beside the water in natural beauty of the surroundings next to the trees and wildlife regardless of what or if they are going to catch

2) The angler who is searching for the specimen fish, but also searches for a water that gives them that natural surrounding feel as well

3) The angler who searches out the waters that will more than likely give them the big prize they are after, even if that means fishing a featureless water

4) Other (please specify)

I am sure there are plenty of other types of anglers, but just a thought....

I am between option 1 and option 2 (depending on my mood!)...

Cheers,

Stu....

I guess I am a mixture of them all from a quiet relaxing afternoon to catching specimens with cattle, dog walkers, mums and kids and even vehicles fording the water nearby, when younger number 4 as I was more of a hunter searching new venues and different species personal movement now restricts me a lot on this. So a mix of the first three these days although I do avoid commercial fisheries and only visit them for rod and reel testing when forced to.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Sort of 1 but mainly 4. I do like to come away with a fish for my troubles, and My favourite venues have always been when they are free, not because of being a stingy git but the knowledge that free venues are much more few and far between. I don't give a monkeys how big the fish are, if I caught gudgeon and minnows all day I'd be over the moon, but i'd prefer a few species being caught - always nice to come away with a varied catch.

What has crossed my mind is to try for more species and to get a picture of them

Barbel/zander/eel (never caught)

Pike/grayling (caught but no photo)

Fly fishing for trout

Spinning for perch

All of the above is me in a nutshell :)

James

1 and 2 depending on what I'm fishing for and sometimes who I'm fishing with. :)

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!