Rudd on lures??

M.K

I've caught them on the fly with various fry imitations. I've also had several chase 3½inch Atom spoons but not take them.

Certainly several books mention catching rudd on lures, including Dick Walker's Still Water Angling and Rudd: How to Catch Them to mention just two I checked from my bookshelves.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Nugg:

What are we talking here? extreme angling or what? I would say the #1 maggot would bring more results, or is it the thrill of the take your after? :confused:

Maggots and rudd, hmm I caught 15 rudd in 5 minutes on maggots tis summer, once you get a big shoal going it's quite easily done, quite borring really. I mean rudd and lures aint somfink you see every day :D

I haven't caught a rudd in years, let alone on a spinner. The little tearaways have abandoned my part of the Broads.

In Holland though, they catch 'em, on lures! My daughter & her partner, who live in Amsterdam, fish with some Dutch anglers who have great success with spoons not much bigger than yer actual fly spoons.

Lures do catch fish other than pike & perch! Roach, yes, have had them on lures. Bream, quite often, on ruddy great spoons! My two best bream, 11 and 12 pounds both came out on Landa Pikkos. Had one last week just short of 8 pounds, on a Masterline Phsyclone Jack Pike lure of all things!

The average British angler doesn't catch rudd & roach etc. on lures for one reason only, yer average British angler doesn't use them, they can't fish tiny lures on an elastic, or with a bite alarm!!

9 or 10 years ago I was fishing at Sudbury in Suffolk, and caught a biggish zander, in daylight, on a lure. I mentioned this in the local tackle shop and was promptly called a liar, zander don't take lures and bigger ones don't feed in daylight. We now know this to be wrong, because others have since done the same.

If we were to work at tiny lures I'm sure we would turn over quite a few long held misconceptions.

In November 2000 I hosted the England v South Africa Lure Fishing International at Wingham. The Springboks pulverised us!

What was interesting though was their successful use of micro jigs. They gave some to the English team and two of our lads hooked and lost big tench on them.

I've mentioned before that I've caught many species, including a lot of carp, on big deadbaits. I've also had double figure carp take spoons but failed to hook them. However, I have caught carp on sizeable jigs and big flies.

I agree with Peter and see no reason why suitable lures won't account for a lot of our coarse species.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have caught a Rudd on a small spinner this summer, I was fishing the river mole for perch when a Rudd of around 12oz grabbed my lure as I started to retrieve. I have also taken a roach of over 1lb on a very small spoon. Both captures were in June when I presume the fish were feeding on fry.

fishboy - excellent point there. I think we'd all (lure & bait anglers) do better if we were more careful to "match the hatch" and use lures/baits the size and shape of the local forage base.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I remember Good Ole Gordie catching a big tench on a lure cant remeber if it was a plug or spinner. I have taken bream on lures but the best fight on a lure with non predator fish is a bream which I foul hooked in its TAIL

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff