Sea trout or brown trout ?

Tigger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they were the same species the only difference being one goes to sea and the other stays put?

Looks like a Silver Tourist to me though!

By the way, is that an OKUMA reel??????

Edited by Rob Ward

It looks like an out of condition brownie to me, long and lean just like a sea trout but its got way too many spots below the lateral line and too many spots on its cheeks to be a sea trout

generally I'd say that where the belly flaps are there should'nt be any spotty markings but they're showing on this fish, shame it was'nt a ten pounder and we'd know for sure but on the photo evidence I'd say brownie

It looks like an out of condition brownie to me, long and lean just like a sea trout but its got way too many spots below the lateral line and too many spots on its cheeks to be a sea trout

generally I'd say that where the belly flaps are there should'nt be any spotty markings but they're showing on this fish, shame it was'nt a ten pounder and we'd know for sure but on the photo evidence I'd say brownie

I have had a few trout recently that weren't in their best nick after spawning and they looked totally different to this one. It was very silver and white with not a hint of a red spot on it's body, it went like stink as well !

I thought they were the same species the only difference being one goes to sea and the other stays put?

Looks like a Silver Tourist to me though!

By the way, is that an OKUMA reel??????

Sorry Rob, I hadn't seen your edit m8. Yes it is an okuma, it's the VS 30 and I'd thoroughly reccommend it !

It looks like a sea trout kelt to me and its the right time eof year for one. ('kelt'= spawned / spent fish).

Spot distribution isn't an accurate identification variable, for example see (confirmed) the sea trout below...

sea-trout-wales-3.jpg

Edited by Emma two
"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Nice fish Tigger, not a Sea Trout though - the hint of red on the edge of the adipose fin gives it away as a BT. A particularly silvery one at that! As Emma has already said, you can't distinguish between ST and BT from spot patterns. Less spots below the lateral line and on the gill plate is a useful distinction between Salmon and ST. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

Nice fish Tigger, not a Sea Trout though - the hint of red on the edge of the adipose fin gives it away as a BT. A particularly silvery one at that! As Emma has already said, you can't distinguish between ST and BT from spot patterns. Less spots below the lateral line and on the gill plate is a useful distinction between Salmon and ST. N

Interesting point Nicholas but if you look at Emmas two's photo closely that fish appears to have the very same dash/ mark on the back edge of it's adipose fin.

Yep but on your fish the colour on the edge of the adipose is reddish (although it's not that easy to tell from the pic)! Sea Trout will have the same general pattern/markings but not a hint of red on them. Also, there is a slight yellow tinge to the belly of your fish which again suggests it's probably a BT. N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables