Andy_1984

Self heating food  

30 members have voted

1. 1. whats your opinion on self heating meals

• never tried them
    • wouldnt have anything else while fishing
    • they taste and look horrible, not what i would class as food
    • there ok for a session

its just a covering with dirt and grime a spray of WD40 generally has them moving like new ,what happens is the rubber seal stays in the in position so when you start to pierce the can there is no seal and the gas comes out as liquid ....pronto or in some cases (more common) the seal hasnt seated correctly and its leaks slightly causing the stove to catch fire on lighting it ,i'v seen this happen twice and both times the cooker was outside some people are not so lucky .

the modern screw in cylinders are probably less of a problem but gas is ok if treated with respect as all flammable stuff should be

just found a vid of a cotton canvas tent blaze these are slightly less flammable than the nylon ones ,nothing to indicate what caused it though but i feel for the guy luckily there was no kids inside

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its just a covering with dirt and grime a spray of WD40 generally has them moving like new ,what happens is the rubber seal stays in the in position so when you start to pierce the can there is no seal and the gas comes out as liquid ....pronto or in some cases (more common) the seal hasnt seated correctly and its leaks slightly causing the stove to catch fire on lighting it ,i'v seen this happen twice and both times the cooker was outside some people are not so lucky .

the modern screw in cylinders are probably less of a problem but gas is ok if treated with respect as all flammable stuff should be

just found a vid of a cotton canvas tent blaze these are slightly less flammable than the nylon ones ,nothing to indicate what caused it though but i feel for the guy luckily there was no kids inside

that reminds me of the lad and his dad fishing up the canal, the kid was in the tent and i could see him messing around with the stove, it was nothing special just like the old camping gaz piercing or screw in ones you mention.

a few seconds later there was a 3ft flame bellowing out of the stove :D luckily the tent never caught fire and his dad never seen it unfold. his dad was too busy getting drunk.

my mates has done this too though. screw in type. 2-3ft flame if you shook the bottle a little. after it warmed up it wouldnt do it though :huh:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Hot cans are heavy,often stick on the bottom and don't heat the whole way through,not much in them and are expensive!

A good way to eat and still travel light is a stew in a wide neck flask like the old carp boys used! The Camping Gaz "Bluey" still takes some beating for a small lightweight stove set up.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I use an ex Swedish army Trangia meth stove.

Cheap effective and bombproof

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/ca...kit-330662.html

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have been known to order Domino's Pizza to the riverbank! :D

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

The only stove I carry if I need one is these

small and does the job, just cook outdoors

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Highlander-Solid-Fue...=item19bd0fb691

gary

Thats a fancy name for the army hexi stoves & blocks...lol, :D

A Scotsman in Yorkshire...http://traditionalfloats.blogspot.co.uk/

Thats a fancy name for the army hexi stoves & blocks...lol, :D

Sure is and most squaddies I knew used Bluey's as Hexamine is so crap! PE4 was far better for cooking on if pushed! Hexamine also gives off toxic fumes so dont use inside a bivvy!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!