tactics for winter fishing

Craig Robins

I normally go fishing every weekend if the weather is ok but recently i have gone from 10 till 5 and had about 4 bites and maximum one half pound Roach. This is at my local pond which normally fishes very well in the winter months. I fish maggots on float, or freeline some bread flake for the Carp. Any help?

Ponds/Lakes/Stillwaters get really hard in the winter months (IMO!!!) why not try the rivers? Better still take up pike fishing, that way, at least you'll be NOT catching BIG fish just like me and little Bruv do most Sundays!!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I agree with Polly, you'd better turn to rivers.

We have three weeks of safe ice on lakes in the Moscow region of Russia by now and I can say that in a week ice-fishing season will be over there because of very poor results. On rivers fishing will be OK.

I think it's because of lack of oxygen in "closed" waters and because in rivers fish has to move in currents and needs energy (food) compensation.

By the way we very rarely use maggots in winter. Bloodworm ( for 0.1 pound sterling per session portion :) ) is the best bait for the season.

As for groundbaiting,again we use a pure bloodworm+clay mixture instead of sweet summer aromas.

Good luck,

Nicholai

Is it just you that's struggling Craig?

A lake I've always fished regular always fished rubbish in November. I often wondered if it was due to the acidity levels changing, maybe something to do with all the leaves falling in etc. We'd catch here most of the year untill November, it would be rubbish fishing untill something like Christmas and then would pick up again.

I would not bother with maggots. Switch to caster and don't take more than half a pint. Intend to not use all of them either. Fish it on the bottom

and feed very, very sparingly. Make sure your bait is static.

Another good roach bait that's almost for free is breadpunch. Liquidise a cheap 4 day old loaf in the blender. Run it through a pinkie riddle (very important) take three slices of good quality bread for punching. Feed a walnut sized nuggett every put/cast in and if you don't catch within half an hour then there ain't none there mate. Good luck :D

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Polly,

I would take up Pike fishing because there is a lake near me but im 14 with a Kingfisher Float Rod and im not quite sure how to fish for Pike any tips? Will i be able to use this rod for Pike fishing? - It has handled a 12lb 4oz Common before!