A lure for an old "geezer"!!!

dave_h

O.k! This old die hard bait fishin pike angler is goin to try some lure fishin!

So, If there was one lure to persuade this old "geezer" to use on the broads(or any river) this october what would it be???

PETER ....... "Bring it on" :D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big old ABU Terminator, Big old soft bodied Shad, Big old Twin Tailed Mega Grubz, Little old Manns Minus One and the Big old Phsyclone Jack Pike and a Landa Piko or two. And if I had to choose just one, the Phsyclone Jack Pike. But since I've just had a thirty on one I would have to say that wouldn't I! Good luck.

[ 14. September 2002, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

david_H - if you don't own a lure rod in a 7-8 ft length, by all means borrow one.

Trying to do much lure casting with a really long rod can make the day less fun than it should be.

And be careful. A successful day of lure fishing can ruin you for bait fishing. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I got the rod (9ft) and an old big s (hasn't everyone) but pete where do i get those lures from especially that "phsyclone jack pike" sounds awsome!

newt and pete- Do you think October could be a bit late in the year for lures?

Cheers guys!

P.s Pete - now where did you say you had that 30lb fish :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The 30 was caught upstream of Great Yarmouth, somewhere near the tip of my rod!

The Jack Pike, or more correctly, the Psyclone Jerkbait Jack (£10.95) is available from Masterline. I bought mine from Brundall Angling. They advertise in Pike & Predators magazine & do have a web site somewhere or another, www.tackledirectory.com should find them or phone 01603 715289.

Its a real fallacy that lures are no good in the winter.

P.S. The Big S lures are great. And they do catch 30's cause I helped a kid who caught one on a chrome one. Lucky little man! Good job I was near and handy, he had no unhooking gear whatsoever!

P.P.S. The Toothy Critter Jerk rod, £44.99 from Brundall amongst others, is a great tool to handle these big lures with. Yer normal fixed spool and lure rod really won't cope.

[ 14. September 2002, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

i fish with lures only,i've newer touched a bait.looking back, i staratd with crank baits (have a lip under the lures chin) i would recomend starting with these.i have caught many a good pike with berkley frenzy lures,storm shallow and thunder sticks and the daddy "nils master invincable".get yourself a copy of "the art of lure fishing" by charlie bettell,a very good book.i hope i've helped a little :) p.s keep it simple at first.

hi there,

Try a BIG silver spoon and u cant fail.They are cheap and u wont be bothered if u loose 1 on a snag and best of all they catch sum monsters

Try and get 1 about 4-5inches.

tight lines

JK :cool:

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

steeplejack:

spoons are good,line twist is a ****** ,get or make a good anti-kink vain,use it with your spinners aswell

Lurh Jensen, Harris Angling, do a really effective 'rudder' that makes a brillient anti-kink vane. The anti-kink vane in Charlie Bettell's book works well to, when I can be bothered to make some up. Braids are less prone to line twist. Using a multiplier also helps reduce the likelyhood of line twist.

Steeplejack, do you make vanes? Some hints would be much appreciated. I'm a lazy bugger when it comes to making 'em!