Chick Peas

monkeyboy

wickerdave,

Sweetcorn, wherever it's not been done to death, is still a bait up there with the very best but what makes it legendary, is it's hard to find a fish that doesn't like the yellow peril. From Trout & Grayling to Perch, Roach, Carp, Tench etc they all love it!

The top five particles we found ( excluding sweetcorn) were,

1, peanuts (sweetened)

2, Tigernuts

3, Maple peas

4, Chick peas

5, Black-eyed / Cannellini beans cooked in tomato soup as per R.H.

Mass particles, nothing really come close to Hemp but we did have success with Rice, Wheat & Dari seeds.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meant to put in the previous post that we had to stop using sweetened Peanuts because of the amount of Tench we were catching. If you're going to have a problem mind thats the type to have! :D

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

Van den Eynde liquid mollasses, is probably just as good as any, if that's all you can get.

If you do happen to pass a horse feed supplier, pop in and have a look though. You can buy it by the gallon there, and it's really cheap.

The salt water going into your groundbait, isn't a problem. there's actually not very much salt in a tin of chicks anyway and most groundbaits will have salt, natural or otherwise, in them. Don't forget, one of the ingredients in most bread, is salt. It's a very good flavour enhancer, which a lot of carpers will add to all their particles when they cook them.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

A few years ago my wife and I went fishng in a lovely spot on a sunny day. The picnic contained her lovely bean salad, different types of pulses, including chick peas, in a garlic and olive oil dressing. The fishing was slow so I put on a chick pea from the salad. Within two minuets the float sailed away and i landed a 10 pound carp. the lesson? flavour them with stuff from the kitchen. good luck!

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• 8 years later...

I've been using chickpeas for years, as a previous post say's they will take on colouring and flavour very easily, I soak the dried varieties for 24 hours in the chosen flavour and colouring then boil till their soft, but not soft enough to crumble when you push a baiting neddle through. I have found that Strawberry flavoured Nesquick works well as a flavour and colour, it's not to overpowering and very subtle, the only negatives are you will get bothered by the tench and bream once they find them.

Edited by Stop HS2

In the warmer weather then, could i mix a tin of sweetcorn with a tin of chicked peas for a bit of extra colour and variety? Simple as that for feeding them? :g:

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I bought a tin last year with the intention of using them. Never did and ended up scoffing them for dinner. Looks like I'll have to get more. I can always make hummus too.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

The zombies are rising again. This one had been dead for almost eight years and it still staggered from the grave.

Strangely enough though I was planning on asking about the use of coloured and flavoured chick peas as per the Anglers Mail article the other week - specifically whether anyone prepared them from dry and when the best time is to add the colour and flavour.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Flavour-wise, I would probably add the flavour to the water Im steeping the dry peas in overnight, prior to cooking and just boil them in the same water. Not sure when to add colour. Probably when I actually boil them but someone else might know.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...