Good read over the cold dark months.

Tyke

Started reading Myth by Kieth Jenkins and its a very funny enjoyable read without being too serious.

Its the story of two friends and there carp fishing capers.

the Myth

by Keith Jenkins

The first carp fishing novel ever! Written by noted big fish angler, Keith Jenkins, this enthralling book follows the angling exploits of four friends, from their humble carp fishing beginnings, their progress culminating in the capture of a record carp.

A superbly written work of fiction which emotionally involves the reader. A big, big read. Master storyteller Keith, has produced a masterpiece of fiction, with the odd parallel to real happenings in the carp world in recent years! 304 pages.

http://www.laneman.co.uk/ourbooks.html

Dont suspose anyone knows of anyone selling casting at the sun for under £30?

Would swop for falling in again by chris yates plus £20.

[ 14. October 2002, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Tyke ]

Sorry, can't help with the Yates book (other than to say if you find a first edition for £30 I'll fight you for it :P ), but I'd also recommend 'The Syndicate' by Mark Cunningham (also claimed to be the first carp novel). There are now 2 sequals also available and they're all excellent - good writing and good humour.

Available mailorder at www.carpbooks.com

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Many of you will know I'm heavilly into fishing books. In fact I've got a big collection plus over 100 spares for sale. If you'd like a list of these spares just e-mail me at steve@go-fishing.co.uk

I'm also planning the setting up of a website doing reviews of old fishing books. These reviews won't be just mine as I'll be including ones from other book collectors too. It'll thus be a sort of fishing book appreciation site.

I haven't read "The Myth" yet but I have read "The Syndicate" and its follow-up, and have just ordered the third of the series from Mark Cunnington. If it's as good as the first two it'll be brilliant!

Chris Yates is my favourite descriptive fishing writer of all time. "Casting at the Sun" and "Secret Carp" are my favourites books of his. Like most, I don't feel that "Falling in Again", whilst a good read, is in the same class as these.

You may be extremely lucky and find a softback or 2nd edition of Casting at the Sun for £30, at which price grap the seller's hand off! 1st editions sell at anything up to £200.

Of the more technical books on carp fishing I like anything by Jim Gibbinson and Rod Hutchinson. Both these authors get me thinking, especially Jim, and both have a great sense of humour. Hutchie's a good story teller too. My favourites are Jim's latest, "Big Water Carp Fishing", which I reviewed here on Angler's Net, and Hutchie's "Carp Now & Then".

Turning to funny fishing books, our own Rosie Barham's "The Fishing Widow's Guide" is one I can thoroughly recommend.

Talking of Rosie and funny fishing books reminds me that another Forum member, Terry Doe, very much owes the angling world a fishing book. Never mind the dogs, when are you going to do us a fishing one, Terry?

[ 15. October 2002, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi all

One book I have recently bought was

"Fishing Forever" by David Churchill from:-

Merlin Unwin Books,

7 Corve Street,

Ludlow,

Shropshire.

SY8 1DB

website www.merlinunwin.co.uk

email books@merlinunwin.co.uk

the fishing forever book was mainly aimed at teenagers, however being a teen of 52 myself I found a lot of similarity between the antics of the characters and my own experiences, when I was a teenager.

Other books worth a look are "confessions of a carp fisher" by B.B. "Tench" by F.J.Taylor and of course the imortal "Mr Crabtree" books.

You will find quite a varied selection at merlins' books.

[ 15. October 2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Bluey ]

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing