gudgeon - good or bad?

The Flying Tench

I love catching gudgeon =)

I cant remember how many times while catching gudeon after gudgeon when all of a sudden a bigger fish has come along. I realy do beleive these fella's attract most species into your swim.

I have caught perch to 2lb 10oz, chub to 3lb 7oz, carp to 17lb (estimated) while fishing canals and rivers where gudgeon were the a fish a chuck.

I like these fish, it makes a dull day into a GREAT day.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have caught them on the Broadland rivers in between catching Roach, Bream, Skimmers, Perch, Eels, Hybrids and crayfish!!!!!!!

There is no pattern at all and I have had them on ledger, waggler, stick and whip/pole rigs with both static and moving baits.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Gudgeon, Minnows, and even Sticklebacks, natures gift to angling as abundantly available, willing little teaching aids.

Priceless little fish.

[ 30. November 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Chris Plumb:

I've also caught stacks of gudgeon on these trips and I can't say I've noticed any descernable pattern. Often I'll catch gudgeon from the same line and swim and 'between' catches of the bigger species.C.

Chris, I've just looked up FishingJournal and your perch catch is extraordinary! Congrats. It's great to know such fish are around. Are you really saying, though, that the gudgeon took lobworm?

john clarke

I'm amazed that you're all so unanimous in praise of the humble gudgeon. No wonder people like barbel! Let me press you, though, on a point, partly for folks like Leedsunited (and me!) who'd rather catch something bigger. I think the point I was trying to make is that catching one or two gudgeon can be a good sign, and it's fine to catch them between other species, but if you catch, say, ten gudgeon on the trot in shallowish water, and you're aiming to catch roach, chub or perch, you should probably go deeper.

john clarke

Chris Plumb:

John I'm having quite a good autumn on the Kennet for Chub and Perch - having had new PB's for both species in the last 2 months! C.

And I seem to remember one of your articles saying you'd found November to be a terrible month!

john clarke

quote:

but if you catch, say, ten gudgeon on the trot in shallowish water, and you're aiming to catch roach, chub or perch, you should probably go deeper. [/QB]
Yeah - If I 'started' off with nothing but gudgeon the yes I would certainly explore different parts of the swim.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

The Flying Tench:

if you catch, say, ten gudgeon on the trot in shallowish water, and you're aiming to catch roach, chub or perch, you should probably go deeper.

I think that I'm probably a bit odd in my approach to fishing.

It's not so much as catching fish that is the challenge, as much as pitting myself against the swim, whatever it may contain.

So, if I've hit upon a shoal of good roach (say), and have worked out my optimum presentation, choice of bait etc, I quickly become bored and start to fish around for something else in the swim, deliberately trying to avoid the roach, and grinning all over my face if I find a gudgeon or eel etc.

I'll even start fishing for them for a while.

And when I feel that I've 'cracked a swim' I will probably move, looking for a new challenge.

(If I get a fish worth a photo, I'll also take a picture of the swim I caught it in - much more interesting to look at in future years than just another fish photo, especially if the swim changes over the years, as they often do. It also reminds me of the time of year and weather conditions)

The day goes quickly, I've enjoyed myself and hopefully learned something.

I can't understand the guys that, when asked if they've caught anything reply 'Nah, just some bits - complete waste of time!'

As I say, I'm probably a bit odd!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust