chinning pike

thornabyangler

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mark barrett:

there is no one i know that chins pike to look macho, stupid comments like that just show peoples ignorance, it is done for pike welfare as budgie has said, but if you aint confident, dont do it but dont decry others for doing so.

I’m not so sure that your comments are worthy of a reply, but here goes.

Regarding my post where the word macho was used, maybe that choice of word was a little over the top, but I stand by what was said in essence, and gave far more relevant information, than most posts on the subject.

I concede that to use this method would be far easier to use from a boat, being more at the water level than anyone stood on the bank. I consider it more than a little dangerous to try and stoop, bend or kneel at the water’s edge, with or without a rod in your hand, to try and chin a Pike from it when one can use a net in perfect safety. We read all the time how unfortunate accidents have happened to anglers who ended up in the water, when all they wanted was a day’s fishing, it only takes a slip, a trip or an over balance and it’s all over in a matter of seconds.

Having had the regrettable experience of pulling a poor unfortunate from the water, I can assure you it is not a pleasant outcome to a day which would have been so full of expectation.

Moving on you state that it is done for the welfare of the fish, yes if you do intend to use this method then it makes sense that the fish should be tired, not so sure about the played out completely , that you use. So tell me, how is this good for the welfare of anything let alone a fish that will be stressed and gasping when removed from the water?

You also mention flying trebles and a net not being good for the welfare of the fish, maybe it’s not, in the ideal world, but call me selfish, I put my welfare above that of a fish, if I didn’t I most likely wouldn’t fish at all.

Finally, as I hope you can tell by the above I am not so ignorant or so stupid just realistically safer, than those that may needlessly put themselves in danger, if I could breathe under water, and didn’t feel pain I would most probably chin all my fish out.

After fishing for more than fifty years I would say that I could be considered both confident and competent, which should not be confused with foolhardy, because I intend to do so for a few more years yet.

I am pleased to see that you don’t advocate the use of a glove though, unlike like the prat or is it Pratt that chooses to use one, that’s not to decry others for doing so, or is it?

nugg, some fair comments there. however the prat reference was in reference to the little teeth inside the gill cover, not for using the glove. there are no little teeth, inside a pikes gill cover, jst the rough gill rakes themselves. thats the only reason i can see for people using a glove, but it has problems because with a glove on you dont feel when you are in contact with them and these are probably the most delicate and one of the most important organs utmost care should be taken.

i ake on boar your comments about stooping by the water and take them on board. chinning is not something i do all the time. only when its safe to do so as yo correctly pointed out and usually on with small fish with a flying treble or lure. most of the time bigger fish will have both hooks inside the mouth and most times i will net fish.

as you correctly stated i do chin far more from a boat as nets can be extremely awkward to use in a boat, so unless it is something outstamding then i chi the fish.

i take on board the fact that you have fished for a long while mate and that you are confident in what you are doing, but you also saythat you put your welfare before the fishes thats why you always net a fish. surely this actually shows a lack of confidence in chinning which i have said is best avoided unless you are 100% confident?

finnally, when i stated that he pike should be played out, what i did not mean was played to a standstill. i didnt phrase that very wel, thats my mistake. whati really meant was that the fish should be what most consideras ready for the net,not as you do get from time to time a fish that yo xcan get in a net that is still a bit frisky. you can net these but trying to chin ne would be extremely foolhardy.

tight lines

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

quote:

Originally posted by Nugg:

So I suppose you wear a glove all the time whilst fishing, cos there are a lot more harmful things about on the water side, rat droppings, bird droppings, human droppings and urine everywhere, beware of that sharp hook when your baiting it with a fish that has been dead for some time, or the plug/spinner thats been dragged through the crud.

It,s your choice of course, but if you do please take the utmost care for the fishes sake. [/QB]

What a ridiculous statement. :mad:

From all the situations you mention having your hand inside a Pikes Mouth is the one where you're most likely to get cut.

Have you ever blown up a Rubber Glove? Because that's what my mates hand looked like when he contracted blood poisoning after he cut his hand unhooking a Pike and ever since we've both used a glove.

I find it's usually better to hand lift small to medium sized Pike rather than net them as they often thrash and roll in the net which, barbless hooks or not, can lead to an almighty tangle and a fish that's out of the water for too long.

When I started out Piking I used to net all fish but now I'm confident in hand landing I feel it's the best method in most situations.

I wouldn't hand lift anything over a mid double as I think it's probably unwise to haul a weighty fish from the water supported only by it's jaw.

quote:

Originally posted by Nugg:

maybe it’s not, in the ideal world, but call me selfish, I put my welfare above that of a fish, if I didn’t I most likely wouldn’t fish at all.

Which is exactly the reason I use a glove when hand lifting and unhooking Pike. :rolleyes:

mark barrett:

a large single will have a deeper gape and point which will mean that it will penetrate deeper. this in a deep hooked fish would be of real concern, particularly with Zander or pike.

Good point Mark. Yes, you are right to point out the dangers of deep hooking, particularly if the method is badly used. Moral - strike early - we have I hope left behind the bad old days of gorge baiting.

I should have mentioned that the friend in question who uses single hooks is a very experienced pike angler (several over 20), has a sustained concentration when fishing that I envy, strikes at the least movement, and is about the least likely person I can think of to deep-hook a pike. All the pike I have seen him catch with a single were hooked in the scissors.

Perhaps his most remarkable pike was a 21 lb fish caught on a size 6 baited with lobworm whilst trotting for chub. His mate Tony was unimpressed. "You can't count that" he said, "you weren't fishing for it. It was caught by mistake" :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Despite my preference not to use a glove I certainly dont have a problem with those who do.It is a personnal choice and as long as the glove wearer is aware of the potential damage to the gill rakers and the bare hand boys aware of the position of the hooks I see no problem with either.Certainly not a subject to get heated over! The fact that hands are being stuck in gill covers full stop is good enough for me!That IMO is the major battle in pike unhooking/handling.

The origonal post from Thornaby asked for advice on what type of glove.He now has a bit more information to firstly base his choice of wether he in fact needs one then which sort to get and more importantly (if you read all the posts some tips too).All good stuff for Pike!

All though I dont use a glove for Pike and have an instant aversion to the "chain mail" description I was shown a filliting glove by I beleive Normark by Steve Randles it seemed ok.Maybe if Steve reads this he can tell you how he got on with it?

[

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!