Spawning

BIGMAN

Hi all,

i know that perch spawn relativly early compared to other species but does anyone know when the others start spawning in stillwaters and what are the pros and cons,someone told me if they start spawning the bu**ers wont bite,does that mean male and female or just female? :(:(

They all spawn between March to the end of August.

Some species spawn twice if the conditions are right.

No fish will touch a bait when it has breeding on its mind as they have to have the right conditions. They can be full of spawn for weeks then all of a sudden the conditions are right and every fish of a species clicks and off they go.

I have been privilaged (and frustrated) to see carp spawning (3 times now).

It is some sight and I have seen one jump out onto the bank!

The reason perch and pike spawn first is so that their fry can eat the eggs and fry of all the other fish that spawn later.

I caught bream two weeks ago with the spawning nodules all over their mouths.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I remember once last year at a local pond......i got there real early and there was a mist on the water......the ponds is in woodland so there ewasnt any wind at all.....the majority of the pond looked like a mirror, absolutely still.

But all round the edges were loads of splashing and reeds and stuff moving about.....just about every carp in the pond looked like it was trying to beach itself.....i assumed they were spawning.

I readied myself for a day with no bites, assuming that the carp had other things on their minds (nudge nudge wink wink), but was i wrong.

They were hungrier than ever.....all that love makin must make em hungry.

BIGMAN:

Hi all,

i know that perch spawn relativly early compared to other species but does anyone know when the others start spawning in stillwaters and what are the pros and cons,someone told me if they start spawning the bu**ers wont bite,does that mean male and female or just female?      :(           :(           :(    

Perch spawn in early April to mid-May.

When you say "others", care to name one or two?

e.g. roach spawn in May.

Of course, everything depends on temperature:-

e.g. Bream spawn between mid-May and mid-June when water temperatures reach 15 deg. C.

and carp require a water temperature of between 20 - 22 C over a period of three or so weeks to pre-condition their eggs

[ 02. April 2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Don't forget day length. Even if the temperature doesn't rise, most fish will spawn eventually in tresponse to increasnig day length. I've seen pike spawning in Sweden when lakes still almost frozen, with melting ice floes all over the surface. Water must have been exteremely cold by our standards

You're looking at a water temp of 20 degrees for most fish to spawn successfully. Many fish will go through the motions though but spawning may well not be successful if temperatures fail to rise

Paul Singleton

quote:

Originally posted by
StuMac
:

I've seen pike spawning in Sweden when lakes still almost frozen, with melting ice floes all over the surface. Water must have been exteremely cold by our standards

Ah but pike are a different species :rolleyes: and not one that BM is after I think.

Pike spawn between February and April when water temperatures are less than 8 C!

[ 02. April 2003, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Hi all,

the main reason i asked is the guy down at white acres said that when we get there the fishing should be good providing the fish werent spawning,so knowing my luck we will have a bleeding heatwave and they will all be dropping.

if i fell into a bucket of t*ts i'd come up sucking my thumb. :D:D

quote:

Originally posted by BIGMAN:

Hi all,

the main reason i asked is the guy down at white acres said that when we get there the fishing should be good providing the fish werent spawning,so knowing my luck we will have a bleeding heatwave and they will all be dropping.

Forgot tench, if you're talking about WhiteAcres:

Tench spawn later in the year than most of the other cyprindae species and require temperatures of between 18 - 20 C to spawn. Spawning therefore is normally restricted to late June and July.