Upstream Ledgering

The Flying Tench

Hi Buggie,

I don't disagree with what you have said, as the most common bite from barbel, as this is my experience also.

I was just saying that there are other types as well and if you do not consider them, then you will be missing some of them.

A lot of my fishing is done at night. In the day I fish with a slack line, but not at night.

I never always fish one way though and prefer to change my methods as each swim dictates on the day.

........Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Budgie,

"No absolutes" is what keeps us interested.

One other thing about giving advice that may sound contradictory to others sometimes, is that we all fish different rivers and methods and have our own experiences in our mind at the time of writing, or reading.

My own experience of other rivers than the Kennet is very small.

I have been very successful on the Kennet over the years though and the one thing that I have learned is that it does not always fish best the same as the last time you bagged up on a swim.

More especially with the pressure that it sees today.

Although I don’t get to fish other rivers much, I love to read what others are doing on them.

Not to go fish them and use their methods. Just out of interest really.

…………Liam

"Wisdom is the knowledge of how little we know"

Barbelangler.co.uk

Another thing about forums Ive noticed,It is some times very difficult to make your self understood and at the same time very easy to mis understand.

I know Im always banging on about Anglers Net fish ins but stuff like this is a great way of seeing and more importantly undertstanding how others do things.Quite often Ive been in dispute with some one over some think on the net only to get together and find you are "both singing the same tune but with different words" so to speak.Eh that was a good one for this time of morning wasnt it :rolleyes: must be the pain killers

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

BUDGIE:

Eh that was a good one for this time of morning wasnt it   :rolleyes:   must be the pain killers   :D:D:(:( Should have a look where you was going mate.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

John, I'm in full agreement with Budgie on his statements. Sometimes I have found myself fishing a deep powerfull river maybe 15 or so yards upstream of my position with a bow of line 30yards plus in length. The current " irons" the line to the bottom allowing lighter than normal weights to be used. When balanced correctly , there will be a deflection in the quiver tip ( it might in fact point downstream )which will spring back or nod when a fish picks up the bait thereby dislodging the feeder.It's something which is very difficult to describe. Might I suggest that you have a look at Bob Roberts excellent book: The Complete Book of Legering ISBN0715300113. This has lots of very good advise on all forms of legering.( I hope it's still in print).

I'll read it and pass it on to you, Barbus - or if you want it in a hurry we can do it the other way round. A great offer, thanks Peter.

It's all helpful stuff. For example I'd never heard Budgie's point about not filling the feeder when you're getting a lot of bites. But there's one point where I think I hear what people are saying, but I'm not quite sure.

The point is really re Budgie's point about having the feeder more or less opposite where you're sitting, which works out as 'upstream feeder' because of the bow in the line. What I'm saying is that in a narrow river with a fair bit of flow, where you're wanting to fish the middle, I can't see how it would work. Excuse me going on about this - it's the bit of the Kennet I've been fishing recently.

What I'm saying is that there's not enough width for a decent bow to form. The only way I can see to fish it is with a fairly direct line going upstream. I'd still welcome comments on this, but thanks everyone for your useful advice.

john clarke