lure fishing tackle advise?

luremanmike

If it's as soft as the stuff I had, I suspect that it it'll cause problems.

It might suit you for your perch bait fishing but I like a bit of stiffness of a lure leader as it helps minimise tangles.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's as soft as the stuff I had, I suspect that it it'll cause problems.

It might suit you for your perch bait fishing but I like a bit of stiffness of a lure leader as it helps minimise tangles.

I agree, and I use the wire for my bait fishing for perch too. well when using lobs and fish baits anyway....that's all I use for 'em.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

they mainly fish for wide mouth bass and dont use traces,

And they tend not to have Pike either...............................

"when zanda fishing a trace can put the fish off ,so i use25ld snakeskin,because the teeth are not the same or set up as pike ,you can get them in quickly and bobs ya uncle"

So how do you stop pike taking your lures/bait meant for Zander then?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It depends on what part of the US Budgie. The fact that they are often called Northern Pike over here should tell you something about their distribution which is actually north and east. I don't think the western US has them (not sure why) and the water temps in the southern part are too warm for them to live.

I've never seen them except in the UK but then I haven't fished much in the North. Pike, walleye (zander), pickerel, musky, and all their cousins can't handle the summer water temps anywhere much south of Tennessee and are not that common even down that far.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi all, this is my first post so i'll start by introducing my self. Im a young fisherman of 24, i have been general course fishing for some years now (since i was 13) mainly doing abit of feeder and float fishing. I am going to be hated on for this but i have grow bored of this kind of fishing and no long find siting in a fixed position for long periods waiting for bites exciting nor fun....

Lure fishing has grabbed my attention as a active way of fishing. i have recently picked up a cheap spinning rod designed to chuck out 10-50g lures (which i know are small to mid sized lures). with this rod i intend to fish for what ever comes along (perch, pike, zander, chub) but understand in having a "universal" set up i would not be able to use bigger lures for big pike (not that i'd want too on this rod). so here starts the questions.....

my main concern isnt about what lures to use but is about line and traces. Now first off let me say again I DO NOT INTEND TO GO "PIKE FISHING" BUT "GENERAL LURE FISHING" i will be catching pike (jacks) but DONT intend on targeting large specimens at least not on purpose (big pike are caught in my area but very rarely).

Before anyone says buy braid... i will when im more flush for money but at the moment i cant afford too. I was thinking 15lb mono main line and 15lb trace would serve me well starting out obviously upgrading in the future.

will perch and chub not be spooked by 15lb trace and 15lb line? should i go lighter?? if i do go lighter wont snags be a nightmare???

any help is much appreciated

You can buy good braid quite cheaply, Veal's do a braid called Tiger Braid, been useing for years with no problem what so ever.and if you use braid you can use up to 30-40lb braid and it will not affect your fishing for Chub/Perch, always err on the side of caution. pike can and do appear in lots of waters.

As for traces alway use a trace when lure fishing, a pike does'nt know you are fishing for perch or chub and you must comply with the Associations/Clubs rule who's water you are fishing! would recommend at least 20lb trace for a newbie.

If possible fish with someone who's been lure fishing for a while. contact your Club/Association and ask if there is someone willing to show you the ropes..And do not forget about unhooking tools should you hook a pike, long nose pliers or Bakers unhooking tool, side cutters for those times that hooks are impossible to extract. and also unhooking mat and suitable landing net.

take a look at the Pike Anglers Club on pike handling tips And the Lure Angling Society for lure fishing tip in general, might be a good idea to join them and meet up with lure anglers in your area.

Hope this helps

concentrate for the moment: feel. don't think.

I agree, and I use the wire for my bait fishing for perch too. well when using lobs and fish baits anyway....that's all I use for 'em.

"when zanda fishing a trace can put the fish off ,so i use25ld snakeskin,because the teeth are not the same or set up as pike ,you can get them in quickly and bobs ya uncle"

So how do you stop pike taking your lures/bait meant for Zander then?

when lure fishing ,its not like deadbait ,the lure if struck correct.the size the lures people are using the trace not very often touches the teeth ,as long as its strong enough for the gillrakers.most lure fisherman in america{and there is pike and walleye] use that big a lure they use 35ld amnesia

when lure fishing ,its not like deadbait ,the lure if struck correct.the size the lures people are using the trace not very often touches the teeth ,as long as its strong enough for the gillrakers.most lure fisherman in america{and there is pike and walleye] use that big a lure they use 35ld amnesia

Yes, in most cases where larger plugs are employed, and particularly if you are using a link swivel, a pike grabbing the plug will never have the trace in contact with it's teeth.

However, "in most cases" is not the same as "in all cases" and the fish that will tend to be the exception will be the big ones that can completely engulf a large lure, putting the trace very firmly (but briefly) in contact with it's teeth. This of course leads to a very dead large pike and a lost lure. The lure might be expensive but can be replaced but big pike are a precious and very limited resourse. Are you really prepared to kill the very fish that you want to catch for the sake of a few pence worth of wire ?

Pike arn't exactly tackle shy, as long as the lure is doing the right thing, they will hit it on pretty much any tackle you choose to employ.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

In the UK, use a trace. No, ifs, no buts. Use one. For all the reasons above. 20-30lb wire. 20lb braid. Braid IS the way forward when it comes to lure fishing, it so direct, you won't believe how good it feels when a fish smashes into the lure at top speed, plus you can 'feel' the more gentle takes and react accordingly.

Don't trust when someone says 'theres no pike in here' either, it just means 'they' haven't caught or seen one.

Renrag

Edited by Renrag39

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

As Newt points out Pike are not spread over the whole of the US just in the Northern regions.As such most US lure fishing doesn't have to worry about them.........................and where they do have them then traces are often used so its a mute point.

Ive done a bit of Zander fishing......and I agree that traces are not necessary for them (well wire any way) but in nearly all UK waters that have Zander there are Pike! as I initially said how do you stop pike taking baits (natural or artificial) "meant" for Zander.

Big lures (in fact any lure) are often taken and the line/trace is never going to be any where near the teeth but I have seen occasions where a relatively small fish has taken a big lure in such a way that the trace has been.Once again how do you stop this possibility?

Now my final argument,most of the lures I use for Zander and nearly all of the lures I use for Perch (or would use if I regularly fished for Chub) would be inhaled by even a small pike with no problem!

As others have said why take the risk?

When targeting Perch (Ive no idea how Chub react to wire?) I definitely think wire puts them off when bait fishing but not so sure about lures as Ive caught a few big perch on lures whilst piking with them. It was allways my thought that rather than put them off the problem was more that a heavy wire trace would adversely affect the action of a small lure (especially a ultra light).

In a drop shotting situation where the fish have plenty of time to examine the lure then (combined with the wire "spoiling" the action) I can see a problem.

As for hard monos well I did a couple of articles for the US mag "In-fisherman" and through this got to "know" Al Lindner and Doug Strange (I mention this as these are the guys who made one of the Pike Fly Fishing videos that lead to a lot of UK anglers trying hard monos as leaders for pike on the fly) All I will say is that their film was made in very early days of their piking! and their views had changed some what!

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yep, with very small lures, the sort of wire leaders that are available comercially can affect the presentation which is why i posted the pic at post #7.

wire, swivels and clips of this sort of size have no negative affect on the action.