Anglers Want Otter Cull...

Elton

Now that is what anglers want; a change in the law, so that they cull any otter that they find attacking their fish.

News item here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13697395

I know it's an old subject, and the link was posted in another thread, but where does the 'information' in the quote above come from?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They're even trained to eat 'endangered' species!

Youtube Video ->Original Video

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Thread on the P&P forum where they are all bigging oup our mr wilson for his comments and wanting a cull without the penny dropping that having spent years telling everyone that Pike are not bad coz they eat things they now want to say Otters are coz they do ,Noodle pointed out on there that is a bit er oh yes hypocritical .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I think that the waters are muddied by the fact that there naturally occurring otters and artificially reared otters. Each can appear in a river or an artificially stocked fishery/business. Really, each scenario should be discussed separately, I reckon, and anglers shouldn't be conveniently lumped into one category by the press.

I read that at least one of the pseudo intelligent self proclaimed scientists is now coming out with the idea that it is Badgers eating the large Carp. Funny really when one considers that Badgers are known as eating small things in point of fact earthworms making up the bulk of their diet.

Guess its yet another case of a so called scientist conducting a non scientific survey and twisting the facts because he/she does not like them, I get tired of reading and hearing about this sort of thing.

Badgers diet:

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...wildlife/badger

http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpages/badgers-06.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger

There is a simple hint

Badgers live on or underground away from the possibility of flooding their prime.basic diet earthworms

Otters live at the waterside and in the water their prime/basic diet is fish

Edited by watatoad

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Do you actually read the links you post Rod?

Take this bit for example.

Fish - Both the Eurasian badger and the honey badger are known to eat fish from time to time.

I have actually witnessed a badger killing and eating a rabbit, and that was a little bigger than a worm.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I can't find any "normal" people discussing this, so I guess it hasn't had much notice taken of it, but calling for otter culling shows us in an appallingly bad light. I find it hard to accept that anyone sensible would even raise the issue - it isn't going to happen, it achieves nothing but to make us look bad and to cast a spotlight onto some of the more ethically dubious areas of angling. Farmers are losing cows to TB - look at the public reaction to attempts to cull badgers. Anyone who thinks we would be allowed to cull otters to protect unnaturally high fish populations for the sake of sport needs to take more water with it.

Do you actually read the links you post Rod?

Take this bit for example.

I have actually witnessed a badger killing and eating a rabbit, and that was a little bigger than a worm.

John.

So have I and I have seen cats and dogs attacked by Badgers and yes I have read all the articles completely and the links found on them.

To restrict information or to only supply links which supported my comments or ideas would be very wrong and would not allow others an open and honest access to information to allow them to make up their own minds from All the information available. To do anything less would be bigoted and very biased and just not me.

Remember I always believe in both sides being represented regardless of my personal views which in this case are for no cull but the arrest and prosecution of those who are still spreading Otters around the country. I did not agree with the breeding and reintroduction of Otters and I never will. However I have fished rivers with Otters on most of my life and have never found them to be the problem some claim.

In so far as commercial fisheries go to me its just another business expense if you want to make your commercial fishery Otter proof to prevent the unauthorised Otters taking your fish just like a jeweler having a burglar alarm fitted.

Edited by watatoad

Got to agree with you Rod, they don't need our help but at the same time they don't deserve to suffer because of our failings.

Never had a problem on the broads with them myself and there are plenty there if you know where to look.

Actually they're my favourite animal... Anyone got some red paint? Just ran out trying to daub a target on my back.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Got to agree with you Rod, they don't need our help but at the same time they don't deserve to suffer because of our failings.

Never had a problem on the broads with them myself and there are plenty there if you know where to look.

Actually they're my favourite animal... Anyone got some red paint? Just ran out trying to daub a target on my back.

Renrag

Sad very sad...my favourite animal is the female homo sapiens...hehehe