Chucking unused bait into the swim?

I see that this season one of my local clubs is going to clamp-down (i.e. expel) Members who chuck unused bait into their swims.

What's wrong with chucking unused bait in, to feed-up the fish etc?

I know that dropping bait on the bank encourages rats etc, but I can't see what's wrong with chucking it into the swim

Can anyone please explain the logic of this ban to me

Cheers

DG

What about the next unfortunate who wants to fish the swim which, unbeknowns to him, might be full of the biggest alarm bells recognised by the local fish population?

Paul

I agree, can't see the problem with a few unused maggots or a cup of groundbait or sweetcorn.

But its commonsense, of course I wouldn't do it if I was on a stillwater or canal surrounded by other anglers, as it is likely to affect their swims indirectly by drawing off the fish.

I guess the rule is being introduced to remove the thoughtless ones who might not think about their neighbours in such a way.

Sorry to sound like chesters, but its indicative of the way our country is going... legislate against the majority because the minority are not capable or willing to exhibit a little commonsense.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

they could being doing it to stop all the slow breaking down baits that encourage disease and the like, Sweetcorn was one i was told that breaks up real slow and encourages blue-green alge i dont know how true it is, also some pellets are very slow to break down, my local club has a rule that if it dont wriggle it dont get chucked in unless its on your hook and that includes loose feed

Visit our NEW FISHING Website (now updatedANGLERS-TALES

All my spare bait comes home with me. The burglar alarm eats my luncheon meat. The birds eat my casters and bread. The corn and pastes and pellets go in the freezer and the maggots get turned into casters for the next session. Worms go back in their bin. I leave catmeat on the lawn overnight and the foxes have that. Used to be the hedgehogs but I think the foxes have had them.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

I can't be the only one to have noticed the proliferation, on the web over the last year or so, of questions regarding the increasing use of mass baiting in regard to fish health and welfare.

Most of the carp fishing articles advocate the use of a prebaiting strategy before fishing to encourage the fish to get on your bait or to attract them into the area, they then strongly recommend putting in several kilo's when you leave. One recently much publiced catch saw an angler using 40 kilo's of particles and boiles for a session lasting a couple of days. Over the years prebaiting has been a very productive strategy for most of the coarse species.

A ban on prebating leaves the club with the question what is the difference between throwing your bait left overs in your swim and prebaiting for the next session?

Maybe be this might be part of the reason and the club has decided to pre-empt any future problems?

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Exactly, Apache, that is what most sensible anglers would do, and have been doing for years.

Where on earth did anyone get the idea that a bit of sweetcorn thrown in causes a problem?

Surely sweetcorn is vegetable and the same as weed?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I generally offer it to any children fishing nearby.

There are atleast two schools of thought on dumped bait. One, in particular, is that it encourages a fish to accept that type of bait in the future, increased catches. Two, that the fish eat the dumped bait and then go off the feed thus spoiling things for the next angler to visit that swim, decreased catches.