so less than a week to go!

viney

Spending 16th afloat on the Thames with a mate who also has a Portabote so if the fishing is rubbish we will hold our annual who has the fastest boat competition :rolleyes: ,most likely start for bits in the weirs and then troll lures if nothing is happening .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi TM. Condolences on your loss.

Are you aware that the BAA's Edgbaston office is no longer open. You have to go to Hagley now.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Cheers Ken

Yep I did know that ...But I always use the dog and bone to order my tickets, telephone them Monday should have it by Wednesday.

If you intend to be on the River on Thursday Ken, have a good one.

Not sure yet. I may have a trip down after work but i do have the whole of the next week booked as leave ! :clap2::clap2:

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My condolences to you and your family teme man. I have had my life on hold for the last month waiting for tests to see if I have cancer so I didn’t make any plans until last Thursday when tests show that the growth does not look 'sinister' according to the oncologist :yeah::yeah: so I will be off to the river still deciding which one, prob the Thames.

Good luck to all going out, the last 3 months seem to have flown by.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Lucky you :rolleyes:

Do you intend to chuck out some gaudy lures or engage in some proper :fishing: perhaps?

Hopefully, I'll be throwing about some of my most gaudy, glittery flouro monstrosities complete with rattles, propellers and my patented pike whistles. They scare the b'jesus out of most self respecting fish but who cares. I might even dedicate a little time to standing on the skyline above other angers wearing my cycling jacket and jumping up and down heavilly :clap2::clap2:

Actually, I'm also looking forward to trotting the middle Severn and trying to bag a barbel on the fly rod.

The fly rod barbel is something I've been intending to do for a while and I have some epoxy casters that I made up a while back that look the dog dodahs. I have a peg in mind for it that is stuffed with fish and also stands a good chance of turning up a proper big roach or two - which would be stunning on the fly.

Did I text you my new number rusty? Hoping to catch a decentish barbel in this opening week of the season!

Yes you did Matt, will you be fishing for barbel properly or with all that static bait nonsense?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi TM. think you're commenting a little outside of your bubble of knowledge again.

It's a mistake to think that fly rods are incapable of landing big fish or of exerting sufficient pressure to land them within a reasonable period of time.

People regularly land sailfish on the fly so it should be obvious that "fly rod" covers everything from tackle that will present a gnat size fly to tiny trout in a stream right through to brutish rods that can cast an 8" streamer and land oceanic predators.

The peg that I have in mind has plenty of 3 and 4lb fish flashing so these will be the target on tackle that will still be sporting for the roach, dace and chub (just as a typical float rod would be) but if bigger fish start to get fooled by the method, I have the option of upping the anti to a #9 weight outfit. Just as with float gear, the real limiting factor will be the strength of the leader/hooklength.

Edit: You're right. I've not done much general coarse fishing for a while, but that's something I intend to address this year. I've had a fair bit of experience with barbel though, although I mainly targetted them with meat or casters on a float rod because I never got much pleasure out of ledgering or feeder fishing. I've had a fair few on the pole too - which is an interesting experience.

Edited by Ken L

Oops. Looks like you posted while I was editing.

Hi TM. think you're commenting a little outside of your bubble of knowledge again.

It's a mistake to think that fly rods are incapable of landing big fish or of exerting sufficient pressure to land them within a reasonable period of time.

People regularly land sailfish on the fly so it should be obvious that "fly rod" covers everything from tackle that will present a gnat size fly to tiny trout in a stream right through to brutish rods that can cast an 8" streamer and land oceanic predators.

The peg that I have in mind has plenty of 3 and 4lb fish flashing so these will be the target on tackle that will still be sporting for the roach, dace and chub (just as a typical float rod would be) but if bigger fish start to get fooled by the method, I have the option of upping the anti to a #9 weight outfit. Just as with float gear, the real limiting factor will be the strength of the leader/hooklength.

Edit: You're right. I've not done much general coarse fishing for a while, but that's something I intend to address this year. I've had a fair bit of experience with barbel though, although I mainly targetted them with meat or casters on a float rod because I never got much pleasure out of ledgering or feeder fishing. I've had a fair few on the pole too - which is an interesting experience.

Ive never had or tried for a barbel deliberately on the fly, but I did foul hook one (7-8lb) in the dorsal a couple of seasons back while fly fishing for salmon. It made my hart miss a beat at first as i didn't know what i had hooked, but even foul hooked and in a good flow, it was soon in the net.

Might be more fun on lighter trout gear.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

In my mind it will be 5.00, the sun is just getting stronger and I will be looking over a small stream.

But in reality I will wait for the weekend, and whatever the weather I will allow myself a sigh as the float trots once more down the stream.

It has got to be the porcupine quill float on the amber glass fibre rod. The centre pin can wait.

The swims will need to be cut out and the swans will be a bally nuisance, but the church will chime the hour.

;)

"Muddlin' along"