so less than a week to go!

viney

The fens

the broads

the fens

the broads

the fens the broads

I need help

I love them both. At least now staying at the bankside like I do all weekend I will drink nothing alchoholic eat less and see more fish rising and rolling.

It can only get better.

regards

john

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I catch plenty of fish with a loafer or a stick and have won plenty of club matches and placed well in opens back in the dim and distant but I concede that my father is the master - especially on the Avon with either a waggler or a stick.

I have yet to figure out exactly what he does that's different. We both hold back. We could both control the line to stay in good contact. We both feed little and often but he just seems to get in a zone where everything is automatic and happening without conscious thought and the fish just cue up to be caught.

I get into a similar zone with a simple Mepps spinner but one of my aims for this summer and autumn is to dig deep into memory and try to pull things together to get to that place with a traditional float and running line. I may even have a bit of 1:1 coaching because dads arthritis now prevents him from trotting for long periods and he's had enough after a couple of hours.

He can't really carry the kit anymore either so I'll be looking to arrange a few sessions where I play mule with his kit, settle him in and go explore with a lure rod for a couple of hours before comming back and taking over while he chills for a while.

Should be an interesting season - trouble is he's already making plans to come out without fishing and with just his dogs so that he can watch me doing what I do with lures. My own fault really, I introduced him to chub on lures a while back and he was most surprised to learn that in the right situation, he could catch more chub on lures than with a float and although he can't manage that any more, he does get a kick out of watching.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I catch plenty of fish with a loafer or a stick and have won plenty of club matches and placed well in opens back in the dim and distant but I concede that my father is the master - especially on the Avon with either a waggler or a stick.

I have yet to figure out exactly what he does that's different. We both hold back. We could both control the line to stay in good contact. We both feed little and often but he just seems to get in a zone where everything is automatic and happening without conscious thought and the fish just cue up to be caught.

I get into a similar zone with a simple Mepps spinner but one of my aims for this summer and autumn is to dig deep into memory and try to pull things together to get to that place with a traditional float and running line. I may even have a bit of 1:1 coaching because dads arthritis now prevents him from trotting for long periods and he's had enough after a couple of hours.

He can't really carry the kit anymore either so I'll be looking to arrange a few sessions where I play mule with his kit, settle him in and go explore with a lure rod for a couple of hours before comming back and taking over while he chills for a while.

Should be an interesting season - trouble is he's already making plans to come out without fishing and with just his dogs so that he can watch me doing what I do with lures. My own fault really, I introduced him to chub on lures a while back and he was most surprised to learn that in the right situation, he could catch more chub on lures than with a float and although he can't manage that any more, he does get a kick out of watching.

Ken you are a lucky man in that case and cherish those trips as they ain`t here forever ,oh and just as well he is not fishing as if he was and did catch a bigger Chub than you as no one brags like your old man does eh?? steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes you did Matt, will you be fishing for barbel properly or with all that static bait nonsense?

As were planning on around 20 hours fishing time ill be taking the 'pin and float rod too, quiver rod and Avon rod to trundle meat, think I would die of boredom watching a tip for that long!

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Ken you are a lucky man in that case and cherish those trips as they ain`t here forever ,oh and just as well he is not fishing as if he was and did catch a bigger Chub than you as no one brags like your old man does eh?? steve.

Tell me about it. One of the sessions that convinced him that the flashy bits of metal work was right up on the upper Severn in the Welsh boarders and his first fish on that session was a chub fractionally short of 5lbs. This silly method had just destroyed his PB but the only thing he gave a damn about was the fact his fish on that day was bigger than he biggest chub that I caught on the same day - that was I think about 8oz lighter.

It was an all round memorable session for him though because in addition to catching and seeing specimen chub on lures for the first time, he also got a real feel for their agression in the right circumstances. He had a fair few of those rip your arm off bites and happened to be standing next to me when I had a psycho chub slam into a 4" plug intended for pike.

I'm sure that one session provided him with tales enough for his fishing mates to last a year.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I can't wait to get back on the rivers...roll on October :rolleyes:

Ah but Perch or Chub sir :unsure: Anderoo reviews the 2 most tempting main courses on the menu unable to decide methinks .

I missed the most profitable months for Stripeys Sept/Oct last year due to stupid work comitments and am not going to make that mistake again ,still going out for the normal anticlimax on Thursday though Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

It's that magical day again Thursday coming! Jairm and myself have booked it off work and intend to be on our chosen stretch of the Kennet by around 9pm Wednesday evening trickling bait in ready for 1 second past midnight and the beginning of my barbel campaign :) the gf goes on holiday wednesday morning so I have a completely free pass for a week, hopefully plenty to report in my blog!

What are everyone else's plans? I imagine Mr plumb and rusty have the day booked off?

Matt

And me, off to the Kennet at 3am. It's like being 13 again everyyear. Except I now fish a river instead of a canal, and don't use a pole. Nor fish for a netful of bits!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I'm hopin to get out very early doors Thursday morning for a couple or three hours trotting for whatevers hungry, but hopefully barbel and chub. I would have most likely gone out again in the evening but I've gotta accompany a EA bailiff on a mission :rolleyes: .