Power Pro for Trotting

Rob Ward

Not sure Ken, PP is certainly far better than Fireline, but I haven't tried any others, so Whiplash may be better still. Has anyone tried all the braids for trotting?

For sure but fireline (original) isn't a braid and would be far to stiff for trotting.

I still think there are thinner, smoother and limper braids out there than PP for trotting though and I'm looking forward to trying this new Nanofil line from Berkley when they finally get around to shipping it out to the shops.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i wouldn't recommend braid for trotting on the Ribble. IMO its rubbish for fishing beyond the rod tip ( i spend a lot of the summer fishing beyond the rod tip out to flow lines) as it floats to high and just slides across the surface if you try to slow the float. Yes it lifts off easily, but it can't be mended directly back upstream of your float unless your lucky enough to have the wind blowing the right way.

It also doesn't get on well with sandstone and with no stretch like Ian says, it isn't very forgiving if you don't know if your next fish will a 2oz dace or a 10lb+ barbel.

But if you fancy giving it a go Rob, maybe the strong stuff you might have on your pike reel could be a good place to start.

nice to meet you tetra,i;m also a ribble rover,do you no what is going on at the,prince albert stretch ,accross from bonzei,were there are large lakes and ponds,iused to put fry in years ago,i no slapped hand ,but if the river is in top flow its in,i;d love to know what will be in now

nice to meet you tetra,i;m also a ribble rover,do you no what is going on at the,prince albert stretch ,accross from bonzei,were there are large lakes and ponds,iused to put fry in years ago,i no slapped hand ,but if the river is in top flow its in,i;d love to know what will be in now

sorry lutra for getting your tag wrong

Edited by fishtec1312

Personally i wouldn't recommend braid for trotting on the Ribble. IMO its rubbish for fishing beyond the rod tip ( i spend a lot of the summer fishing beyond the rod tip out to flow lines) as it floats to high and just slides across the surface if you try to slow the float. Yes it lifts off easily, but it can't be mended directly back upstream of your float unless your lucky enough to have the wind blowing the right way.

It also doesn't get on well with sandstone and with no stretch like Ian says, it isn't very forgiving if you don't know if your next fish will a 2oz dace or a 10lb+ barbel.

But if you fancy giving it a go Rob, maybe the strong stuff you might have on your pike reel could be a good place to start.

iam an also a ribble rover,since i was a kid ,i nearly died twice through making rafts.but know had to move .only 8 miles but my other house you could see it.i bought a telescope,with a navy accident[nothing to do with combat]it was that good i could read the front and bac.of the mags and types of boilie. but whats going on accross from the bonzei sretch,which you can see taking the blackburn exit just a bit on thleft coming south on m6.great lakes speciman or match.its nigging bad lately is it going to be a fishery or not ,al just keep my fingers toes and best trick of the lot me bollucks,

iam an also a ribble rover,since i was a kid ,i nearly died twice through making rafts.but know had to move .only 8 miles but my other house you could see it.i bought a telescope,with a navy accident[nothing to do with combat]it was that good i could read the front and bac.of the mags and types of boilie. but whats going on accross from the bonzei sretch,which you can see taking the blackburn exit just a bit on thleft coming south on m6.great lakes speciman or match.its nigging bad lately is it going to be a fishery or not ,al just keep my fingers toes and best trick of the lot me bollucks,

Did you check the topic you started on this one for any replies?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/fishery...14#entry4142714

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

If I'm choosing by diameter I'll be using it to replace 6lb sensor so it looks like the 0.23mm US 20lb/15kg UK 15kg/33lb is the closest match in that case. Apparently the US rating is closer to the wet knot strength whereas the UK rating is based on straight pull breaking strain.

Any thoughts on whether this is too heavy for a match rod with a max line rating of 8lb?

If I'm choosing by diameter I'll be using it to replace 6lb sensor so it looks like the 0.23mm US 20lb/15kg UK 15kg/33lb is the closest match in that case. Apparently the US rating is closer to the wet knot strength whereas the UK rating is based on straight pull breaking strain.

Any thoughts on whether this is too heavy for a match rod with a max line rating of 8lb?

Is it likely to come into contact with rocks, trees, or other snags Rob? If so I would swap like for like, diameter wise. If not (as on my local trotting rivers) I don't see any advantage in going heavier for the sake of it. The 10lb PP has the same diameter as 2/3lb mono, and if snags aren't an issue that seems like a decent benefit to me.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Is it likely to come into contact with rocks, trees, or other snags Rob? If so I would swap like for like, diameter wise. If not (as on my local trotting rivers) I don't see any advantage in going heavier for the sake of it. The 10lb PP has the same diameter as 2/3lb mono, and if snags aren't an issue that seems like a decent benefit to me.

It can be snaggy and weedy in summer. Also the channels in the bedrock can have sharp edges and there's the chance of a big Barbel so I reckon I'll err on the side of caution and go for the heavier one!