Small fixed spool reel

Dick Dastardly

I'm getting some gear together to give the lure technique of "Drop shotting" a go.I am after a small fixed spool that will take around 150m of 10-15lb braid (around 2 -4lb mono) The smaller and lighter the better.Not worried if its front or rear drag and don't need a free spool/baitrunner facility! Not that worried about price but under a ton would be good! Any suggestions to try and narrow the choice down before I start trawling the tackle shops?

As the outfit will allways be fished in hand the main points are size,lightness but quality is paramount as I only want to buy once!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little Shimano Stradic if you want to buy once and once only! I use a little mitchell fixed spool reel as I had it lying around and it's the right size, but it isn't ideal. Enough to get me started though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm getting some gear together to give the lure technique of "Drop shotting" a go.I am after a small fixed spool that will take around 150m of 10-15lb braid (around 2 -4lb mono) The smaller and lighter the better.Not worried if its front or rear drag and don't need a free spool/baitrunner facility! Not that worried about price but under a ton would be good! Any suggestions to try and narrow the choice down before I start trawling the tackle shops?

As the outfit will allways be fished in hand the main points are size,lightness but quality is paramount as I only want to buy once!

Budgie

I am using the Mitchell Mag-Pro 2000 quite nice, but it has not been used in anger yet. It comes with two alloy spools, one I have 8lb braid on and the other 15lb, it is a bit blingy but it matches and fits the narrow reel seat on the Mitchell Mag-Pro Dropshot rod.

I also bought a Manta FD820iT from Lure World.com, in the belief that it would fit the above rod; it didn't but it is a nice reel to use with my 8' 3-15gm ultra light outfit so I kept it. Look here for details: http://www.lure-world.com/product_info.php...products_id=207, it was well worth £24.99

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

A little Shimano Stradic if you want to buy once and once only!

Especially if you intend to treat it like a fragment of the True Cross, only ever handled reverently with cotton gloves on Holy Days, eh? :D

Does this mean we are going to have an AN Dropshotting fish-in?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I liked the idea of a small Stradic but the only ones Ive found so far are silly money. I would have done the same as Anderoo but the smallest fixed spools I have are Mitchel 300S's.Only thing smaller are my ABU 501/506's.

Smaller than the Mitchell mag pro lite is the Mitchell 310xge if you want small I do not know a smaller fixed spool on the market.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

I liked the idea of a small Stradic but the only ones Ive found so far are silly money. I would have done the same as Anderoo but the smallest fixed spools I have are Mitchel 300S's.Only thing smaller are my ABU 501/506's.

Budgie, arn't the 501's an 506's perfect for spinning. I thought that was what they where made for or at least that is what I was told. The stradics are great in the 2500 model and you can pick them up for about 50 ripp's on fleebay. Okuma do a corkin spinning reel the VS series in different sizes. If you look for worldwide sellers on fleebay you can sometimes get an excellent deal. I have the VS 30 and I really like it even though it has a front drag.

Edited by Tigger

Budgie, aren't the 501's an 506's perfect for spinning. I thought that was what they where made for. The stradics are great in the 2500 model and you can pick them up for about 50 ripp's on fleebay.

Yes your right Ian they were designed for light lure fishing and the 5012 and 506M were just variants brought out to meet the need for the UK match scene of the time. (basically just ready converted models so back winding could be used to play fish) My only concern is that they are not as good a casting reel as an open faced fixed spool,However I will definitely give one of mine a go before I buy anything.Been toying with that idea from day one.

Stradic 2500,will definitely have a look on the Flea see whats about.

Dave,Rod and Tony,Yes the small Mitchell's do fit the bill and yes they are a good price,Just concerned that the build quality isn't what it used to be.

Newt if you see this was/is there a smaller version of that Mitchell 300X (?) I used when with you?

Also ABU C5/C4 fans ( Paul,Ian etc) did they do a C3? Now that would be perfect!