One for the Pikers

Nugg

Like most of you I expect, I make my own traces.

what I'm after is to improve how I pack/store and carry the made up traces' in differing sizes and configurations, I have at least five, 6s, 8s, singles, treble + single, doubles and so on, and I seek to make them as easely accessable as possible on the bank. So do you have a good method that you feel you could share?

1. Tube of about 1.5 or 2 inch diameter. Plastic or PVC would be good.

2. Embed wire hooks (like one end of a swivel) in a line from one end to the other. Spacing of about 1/2 inch between works well.

3. Cover the surface with velcro. Cut a number of small squares of the other half of the velcro.

4. Place hook in loop, wrap line around and around. Secure with a piece or two or three of velcro when done. I use a single piece if I only have hook and line. More if there are bits on the rig I want to have not move around.

If you also thread each end and get caps, you can store all sorts of stuff inside the tube.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Fox do a fantastic one, my brother (Tackle Tart) bought one. They are about 20" long, 6" wide and 2" deep. Made in the Fox "green" canvas and zipped along 3 edges to offer lay-flat ability. Traces lay from end to end along a stiff board and are held in place with pins (supplied). Great bit of kit and probably holds a dozen or so traces.

Cost ????? but I'll be getting one shortly.

As for the "carper" rig bins mentioned earlier they also work well, it's what I'm using now and they do the job.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Hi Nugg, have tried most things over the years, none perfect. Have settled on using audio tape cassette boxes made of upvc rather than the more usual brittle plastic. I get them from a rep who works for a local commercial radio station. Whether he nicks them or whatever I don't know but the station uses them for demo tapes of adverts. He uses them for his traces too. Best solution that I have come across so far, ideal to carry in pockets as well.

Tha Gardner Rig Bin or Leeda Predator Tackle Tidy are what I use. You can store up to six traces in one. They're not expensive and I've found are better than Carp style rig wallets for storing trebles.

Gardner also do a 'mini rig bin' which would probably hold three or four traces at a guess and fit in your pocket!

im gonna have to agree with rob ward on this one a rig bin is the only way i could go.

you can see what youve got and can get at it easily without stabbing yourself with a hook when you get it out of your bag.

it makes life that much easier on the bank. especially when youre in a hurry.

Thanks for your suggestions, its given me something to look at, I'm not sure about the bigger ideas though as space is at a premium when I go out, the more compact the better.

Peter, as I don't have a friend in a radio station I can't get the "come alongs" but you have given me somthing to think about.

Cheers all

[ 17. February 2003, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]