The law on catching and eating fish

N9T9F14KE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on where your catching the fish ,if its from a private pond they belong to its owner ,if its a rented lake its owner and the club will have rules concerning their fish and if its a river technically only the EA "own" them but ofcourse you will have to be on someones land or subject to an angling clubs rules to catch fish and they may object.

you will need a licence to use a rod (the only way you can fish without strict limits) in all of them so generally for the odd fish supper tesco's fish is cheaper and being mostly from the sea slightly better tasting

if you are starving (extremely unlikely) help yourself but dont say i said so but river fish are better

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

^^^ like Chesters says. You can eat anything from a lake that the owner allows. From a river, you can eat as many trout or salmon as the owner allows, and with his permission, one pike or two grayling, subject to some statutory size limits. Generally speaking, unless trout fishing, the owner won't let you take anything at all.

Practically, with the way the law is and the way fisheries are run, what it comes down to is this - in England and Wales, if you want to legally eat what you catch, you either go sea fishing or you pay to go trout or salmon fishing (and, actually, I don't think there's much salmon fishing where you are allowed to keep fish these days).

If you live where I do, in Southern England, if you want to eat freshwater fish you need to learn to fly fish and then pay £25-£30 per day. For this, you will be allowed to take 3-6 rainbow trout - if you can catch them. It would definitely be cheaper to buy them from Asda.

Or........you could legally take and eat non-native fish B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Or........you could legally take and eat non-native fish B)

Or certain mini-species excluded from the legislation. Or pike bait. But there aren't any non-native fish in my local waters other than the ones specifically named as protected by the legislation...

Hey all

I didn`t bother to do an introduction as i don`t know how long i`ll be here.

So yer, does anyone know the law on catching and eating fish? Im not currently an angler so don`t know it.

cheers

N9T9

Nice introduction :)

See here: http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homea...hing/31465.aspx

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

^^^ you either go sea fishing or you pay

You just dont go sea fishing and eat what you catch as there are size limits to adhere to.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

except if of spanish origin :D;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Good point. You can get size limits for your area from the applicable Sea Fisheries Committee.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sea+Fisheries+Committee

In practice, I'm not sure I would usually consider anything under their limits worth taking in the first place.

Oh, and you definitely don't have to pay to fish from the shore ;)

Edited by Steve Walker

What an odd thread, and yet some on here entertain this individual with replies, we get a lot of these here to-day gone to-morrow posters who seemingly don't fish and are only interested in a wind up.

You just replied to it ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music