The law on catching and eating fish

N9T9F14KE

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that's the case Steve, most waters i know still allow you the take some salmon and sea trout. Which is kind of ironic as i would say both are far more endangered than most coarse fish.......

Not my area, though lack of opportunity rather than interest, so happy to take your word for it - just going off what I read in the forums and magazines. Is it just not the done thing to talk about it? I know the "every broonie's sacred" brigade get pretty militant about their fish!

Why do you want to do this if you dont mind me asking. Im not saying dont, i would just like to know what made you want to eat a fish from the gloriously clean UK rivers?

While im here i will just point out that even though water qaulity is good these days, there are still dangerous levels of chemical deposits in some rivers. These make their way up the food chain from the sediment below and as such fish tend to have the highest concentrations of the maddness inducing toxins! Be safe!

Ok sean will bear (spelt wrong i think) that in mind, totally forgot about the polluction.The reason i want to do it is because it just appealsto me.I`d rather kill it and eat it then put it back, as don`t take this personally, i don`t agree with using animals for entertainment and non essential purposes.

Now i know someone`s gonna say that why don`t i go to a supermarket etc for fish, but i want to try carp, bream, roach pike etc.

Not my area, though lack of opportunity rather than interest, so happy to take your word for it - just going off what I read in the forums and magazines. Is it just not the done thing to talk about it? I know the "every broonie's sacred" brigade get pretty militant about their fish!

I didn't buy a salmon and migratory trout licence to put the buggers back B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I didn't buy a salmon and migratory trout licence to put the buggers back B)

Better hope the Angling Trust keep their noses out of it then...

:whistling:

N9 - I haven't see it specifically mentioned but one big issue with taking and eating fish from UK waters is the overabundance of anglers when compared to the available fisheries. If catch & eat were commonplace the fish populations would not hold up for long. Another issue is the fact that fishing rights on still waters are owned by someone and generally, taking fish from those without specific permission of the rights owner is theft.

There are plenty of places where eating some or all of your catch is the norm and places like Germany where you are not supposed to release fresh water fish at all. The rationale there, from what I can read, is similar to what you say is your feeling about not using animals for sport.

Where I live we have bag limits and size limits designed to protect and improve the fish populations but no one will think it odd if you keep and eat what you catch as long as your catch is within those limits. It works because there is comparatively much less pressure on the fisheries and the fish populations.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Then how else can I send a warning to you that this escalate in perhaps you have no more of those big fat winter chub to catch

Anyone care to translate this into English?

Rich

How about trying to catch the American Crayfish if you are that hungry:

The law surrounding the trapping of crayfish is very strict. This is mainly due to the Seventies crash of imported farmed crayfish when many North American crayfish escaped in to native waters. Our small white-claw crayfish have been threatened ever since, as the intruders are bigger, stronger and breed faster, and they brought associated plagues to which native species are highly susceptible.

In June 2005 the Environment Agency (EA) introduced a list of crayfish by-laws that, under certain conditions, would allow the trapping of non-native crayfish in England and Wales. No one is allowed to trap native crayfish, only the larger "alien" varieties. Any fisherman who catches an alien crayfish must kill it rather than return it to the water.

You need a licence, which is free, to trap crayfish and your local EA needs to know exactly where you will be setting your trap. Permission will be dependent on the situation and the EA will take in to account the possible effect that trapping could have on other species. As many water courses run through private property it would be your responsibility to obtain permission from the landowner before you start. All traps must be inspected every 24 hours.

Give this ago, you'll be doing us all a favour.

Michael

Also all traps will have an EA label on them (this is a out of date one) if you find a trap without one its illegal (do what ever you wish with it) and the licence holder's licence will only apply to that water (he can have several licences for several waters) ,so whilst its free there are some strict rules to comply to to get them

i guess the code on the label is the exact water the trap can be used on so the EA can check if its the right label on the right water

the EA though could do us all a favour and allow AD HOC trapping on non rivers and licence the traps for rivers (where i guess the main bulk of our native ones still live)and i bet the problem would lesson very quickly an angler could pop in a trap whenever he fished and hopefully get a sandwich filling for his effort

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Then how else can I send a warning to you that this escalate in perhaps you have no more of those big fat winter chub to catch. :o

But perhaps bitching will be your new winter pursuit :D

Maybe it will! People trying to catch fish to eat aren't going to be interested fishing all weekend for 1 bite, so I think the chub are pretty safe. I think it's a pretty reasonable question he asked, the vast majority of people think we take fish home to eat. As I (and everyone I knew) did back in the fens a couple of decades or so ago, and believe it or not there are still fish there now.

The 'threat' from people (and most other creatures) taking fish to eat is massively overstated. To put it bluntly, that is why fish exist.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson