The Method

garyb72

i had heard of this practice but as a 99% float fisherman didnt really take an interest in it .Last evening i chanced on a chap using it and was very impressed he also had plenty of bites but despite fiddling with the hook set-up only hooked 50% of the bites .

i watched for a couple of hours and it seems to work but not my cuppa tea i like floats

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he also had plenty of bites but despite fiddling with the hook set-up only hooked 50% of the bites .

They weren't bites! The rod top is "on the go" all the time that fish are attacking the groundbait/pellets on the feeder. It's only a bite when a fish takes the hookbait, pricks itself, and bolts off - by which time, it's already hooked.

Having said that, it's not uncommon to see someone unfamiliar with The Method, working themselves up into a frenzy because they can't "hit" all the "bites" they're getting! :lol:

how can it hook itself the rig is free running and the end of the rod is the "stop" his rod end was definitely moving a fair way not line bites or even half hearted bites ,me myself would have been in a frenzy of picking up the rod :D

so its a bolt rig with freebies ;)

not my idea of fishing these self hooking ideas

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

how can it hook itself the rig is free running

Sounds like an odd way of fishing The Method - you normally use a semi-fixed inline feeder combined with a short (3"-4") hooklength and a hair-rigged bait.

If using it for lots of smaller fish, use a mix that breaks down relatively quickly. If using it for fewer (usually bigger) fish, use a mix that sticks on for a long time. That's about the only difference that I can see. It is very effective for lots of species of all sizes.

Where's Den?

Still alive :) just back from the Far East...............never again, phew!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Method?? just what is the method?? a feeder with bait in, and a hook length attached? or a pva bag with a hooklength attached? or a pva mesh sock with a hooklength attached? All simply variations on the theme of introducing a lump of feed alongside your hookbait...all do the same job.

I have caught fish from an ounce or two, up to 40lbs + on "the method", at all distances up to almost 100yds..............consistently, day after day, week after week, season after season.

Carp, tench, roach, rudd, eels, barbel, bream, a lot of big ones of each type.

Simply the best all round "method" available to todays anglers :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Sounds like an odd way of fishing The Method - you normally use a semi-fixed inline feeder combined with a short (3"-4") hook length and a hair-rigged bait.

I had a look at his setup the "feeder" was free to run up the line and the hair attacked to the feeder ,a bead stopped it falling off the end of the line

Edited by chesters1

Good work, that's a bigger carp than I've had on the method. I really only use it for bream on big waters though to be honest. Would be interesting to see what's said on this topic. I can't see it only being a small carp tactic personally but I'm no expert.

besides my useual bits and bobs, blended vitalin and a tin of tin of tuna in oil or brine in winter

Edited by fishtec1312

I've really enjoyed using the method feeder since I started fishing. Micro pellet feed and sweetcorn as a hook bait have given me two pb's (carp and bream).

ONe of the things I really like is the ease of setup. No messing around with floats, shotting patterns and loose feeding etc. Just an inline feeder, rubber bead and a swivel :)

I've really enjoyed using the method feeder since I started fishing. Micro pellet feed and sweetcorn as a hook bait have given me two pb's (carp and bream).

ONe of the things I really like is the ease of setup. No messing around with floats, shotting patterns and loose feeding etc. Just an inline feeder, rubber bead and a swivel :)

where you in grange hill,you look like him

Interesting stuff but not something I've ever used. Can anyone suggest mixes that don't involve Vitalin - speciffically, something that I might be able to put together from ingredients available in rural India ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.