Giant Catfish

Jeff S

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

Our angling practices are often different than those in the UK but so are the conditions.

"Hand-fishing for giant catfish is a primeval calling for some of the rougher outdoorsmen of the South and mid-west"

http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayS...tory_id=4010514

Posted Image

TL - leon

[ 27. May 2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Andrew Boyd:

Knowing "Breamagain" as I do . . I know he's just winding you up Newt.

Was he? In that case, he needs to refine his technique a bit.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

chevin:

chevin:

Its so that nobody else can catch it and break his record :rolleyes:

Half hour my ass demon

Firstly I don't think that the Americans really want to catch fish that have been caught so often they are known by name. Most will be quite happy to see it in an aquarium where it can be an inspiration.

Secondly I have to ask what your remark concerning the half hour means? Sounds a perfectly reasonable time for a fish of that size to me. I have had plenty of hard fighting fish bigger than that take half an hour and even longer.

Quoted from link Leon put up

quote:

Some 467,000 Missourians hold licences to catch catfish with hook and line
Well thats 467,000 just from missouri that have been denied the chance to sit on a bank/boat dreaming of catching such a fish, not everyone is intrested in catching "named fish" or bounty hunting.

Also i find it unfair that the fish has been swimming freely in the Mississippi River for over 30 years, probaly never comming in contact with humans, was to be put in an aquarium. fare enough if it was going to be used for some kind of breeding program etc

(i hope people understand my view, as i may be seen as a hypocrit with over 50 reptiles, but they are all cb {Captive bred}).

As for my remark at half hour, i just thought it would of taken a bit longer to get such a magnificent beast to the net, looking at the photo again, that blokes some size to be able to cradle it like that. :cool:

[ 28. May 2005, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: DJMCJERICO ]

Cheers

<º))))><.·´¯`·.ÐÅѸ.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

IPB Image