Angling Journalism

Barnese

I take the point about double-spacing no longer being necessary in the computer age. It just goes to show how long in the tooth I've become! This has been brought home to me just yesterday when Peggy retired from full time work. Where have all the years gone?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Waller:

The demand for well written, older angling books is far exceeding supply. There must be a moral to that story!!

Amen to that, Peter.

Or should that be 'A-person of no specific gender'? Can't be too careful, these days.

Terry

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Steve Burke:

Where have all the years gone?

Life has stolen them - but fishing gives them back to us, Steve. I'm certainly at my least mature when the rods are out.

Terry

I'm in my studio today. Okay, so I'll take a few hours off nearer low tide, toddle down the garden and catch my daily quota, but it is a work day. I'm in the process of assembling a Barbecue, photographing each stage, and writing a near prat-proof instruction book. The original enclosed instructions are perfectly written, but working to them is a nightmare, even for a practicle bloke like yours truly. But it's work that pays the bills and, to be truthful, I'm quite enjoying the challenge! The point being that when I go fishing I won't be taking a 'pro' camera, if I take one at all. I certainly won't be taking any form of additional lighting, a tripod or correction filters. If I take a picture it will be a well composed snap-shot. It's my break from work. I have the ability, but, for heavens sakes, its nice to let standards drop now and again. Bit like wearing a shirt and tie at work, getting home, ripping the hateful thing off and putting on a favourite t-shirt. Gilbertron appears to have the same attitude to the written word. I can't condemn him for that. Slackness can be relaxing!!

In the past I used to write for various 'pike' angling publications. Whether it was good or bad is besides the point. The point being that if I lift my head above the parapet on some 'predator' orientated sites then some prat will come along and start sniping, for no other reason than he sees me as a valid target because I have dared to offer advice to my fellow sportsmen. I no longer visit those particular sites, it just is not worth the aggro. I can take any amount of abuse, and give it, but the pleasure walked out of the door. It is a pity that Gilbertron appears to have done the same.

Peter Waller:

It's my break from work. I have the ability, but, for heavens sakes, its nice to let standards drop now and again.

In the context you've given, Peter, I heartily agree, but Gilbertron's 'punctuation is nothing' statement is akin to you applying that off-duty, break from work philosophy to your day job - which you'd never do.

Also, I think there's a fair bit of required-effort difference between setting up a studio quality camera shot and using correct punctuation while posting. Even with your snapshots, I bet you make sure you focus properly. That's exactly what grammar and punctuation do for the written word.

My, how profound I are being.

Terry

Graham:

I would be more than delighted to send you an example of what I come up with. The next time I post will be next friday however as I am going away for a weeks on the Hampshire Avon :) !

Hopefully I'll have a successful barbel fishing week to report on so I'll email it across to you along with some pictures.

Many thanks

James

thanks for the info graham x (no relation to malcom) i have noted the numbers and will indever to get the books :)

i shall let the rest get on with their bickering :):D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dear James,

Some thoughts on writing for angling publications.

Now days, it is far harder to break into the world of writing for angling publications than it was in days gone by. The reason being, so much cover is related either directly or indirectly, to the advertising content in a lot of these publications. Whilst this may not appear to be the case at first glance, it never the less does exist. A typical example would be if any particular company spent regular amounts of revenue on advertising its products in any given publication. Preference would always be given to individuals with direct ties to the said company in regards to printing articles etc. Sometimes, such articles contain blatant plugs aimed at promoting the companies products. At other times, associated articles are printed in order to maintain an author's or individuals "profile". Obviously, these profile retaining articles are part and parcel of the bigger advertising picture. If certain angler’s profiles are maintained, then the companies that these anglers’ names are associated with find a ready route for advertising their particular products by sponsoring such anglers to endorse their products. These, are the stark realities in today’s world of angling publications.

Having accepted that, don't let this be off-putting. A great writer is a great writer. And if one is good, any editor worth his salt would be very hard pressed to dismiss any new talent that shines out. Great angling writers have the ability to transport the reader right to the water edge, so that the water itself could almost be touched, almost be smelt.

Personally speaking, I feel that angling publications in the article department have been greatly lacking in comparison to years gone by. Undoubtedly, this has been down to a certain style that a lot of editors assumed their customers wanted. A sort of evolution of the type of publication we are all familiar with today. Brash bright colours in ads, done to death article themes.

However, the writing styles of say BB, or Fred J.Taylor to mention only two amid a host of great writers, are now very much back in demand. And in demand in the most unlikely of places. It's not just angling publications whose readers appreciate anything of a "country" nature. As I say, a great writer is a great writer.

So if you can describe fish moving through a swim with shafts of light dancing through the water surface, then upon that surface, describe swallows swooping down from a blue summer sky sipping insects off the glass like water, then go for it James. But remember, whilst writing is a skill, it is honed to perfection like any craftsman who learns to use his tools with mastery. Primary tools being;

Having the power to acutely see, smell and hear. And to effectively transform those same senses down on paper in the form of written words so that any reader reading the authors words, can instantly be transported to that place on that day, exactly as it was when the author first saw, smelt and heard it.

Computers can check spelling, grammar and so forth. But they will never replace the sheer endearment human beings feel for their natural surroundings. Or the way that great writers can summon up those feelings via the wizardry of simple words.

Regards,

Lee.

Well, back to the original question! I agree with Peter Sharpe. I have also had an article published, in Match Fishing Magazine, but that was in the days when they published work from "average anglers". I don't believe my article would be published now. As Peter says, the magazines seem to be full of the "How to" type articles, written by well known, sponsored professionals.