Anyone had any trouble with these??

Rogerb

I started to lose fish with knots seeming to go at the swivel. Having been doing a bit of testing/practising for a couple of days it suddenly dawned on me that I had also started using some new swivels. They are the Preston Innovations Mini Match Swivels which have diamond shaped loops rather the circular ones that I used previously.

I have tested with a range of knots and though results vary by knot, with all of them I can break 8lb line tied to a Preston Swivel with the line wrapped round my bare hand!! When I test with a swivel with a circular end I can’t - at least I daren't pull that hard!!

I just wondered if anyone had experienced this problem with this shape of swivel?

Cheers.

Roger.

Never had one break Roger, but must admit I don't like swivels with triangular eyes either.

It's probably irrational but I feel a triangular eye might well bunch the knot as opposed to a circular eye with it's more gentle curve.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I stay away from diamond eyed swivels.When the knot is tied( even very carefully) and pressure is put on it,it strangles the line putting a lot of strain on a very small space.Result = broken line at the knot.Better going for round eyed swivels and put the line through the eye twice.This spreads out the force on the knot,making it far more reliable..

This also applies to any wire that is used for tying up pike traces...

Alternatively use a palomar knot,100% reliable if tied properly.... :P

If anyone knows, what was the thinking behind that design? What advantage over the more traditional circular attachment ring?

And a tidbit even on the ones with circular rings - the solid rings are much stronger than the continuous loop design.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There were some swivels made a few years ago for the beach angler that had a diamond at one end and a circle at the other, the thinking was that your hooklength was tied to the diamond end to create a weak link, dont know if you can still get them or not.

Scott.