Difference between brown and white bread?

davedave

Evening,

I bought a crusty brown roll today because there were no white ones left. Will it make a difference? I know it was in the press recently about a fishery banning white bread, but do the fish actually have a preference?

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Evening,

I bought a crusty brown roll today because there were no white ones left. Will it make a difference? I know it was in the press recently about a fishery banning white bread, but do the fish actually have a preference?

Some say white has the added attraction of being more visible (I would tend to agree) However some also say that brown bread looks a little more natural in a water and doesn't tend to stick out as an anglers bait.

I also read once that Carp can actually to a degree detect the nutritional value of porous foods before deciding to eat them (Boilies are a good example as the fish can allegedly detect the high protein in them and this is partially the reason they are such a successful bait) If this is the case the Carp in theory should hands down prefer brown bread as White has little to no nutritional value, brown bread however has a lot more protein and other goodies inside it.

Saying that I have had carp take imitation bread which smells strongly of rubber..... Maybe its curiosity? Maybe there was another Carp nearby, it looked like a food the Carp is familiar with, and therefore he wanted to eat it before others got the chance? (Competition factor?) little tricky to say to be honest but....If a Carp comes across your Brown roll in the water and he is in a feeding mood he will certainly take it regardless of colour in my opinion.

Species Caught 2011: Mirror Carp, Barbel, Ide, Rudd, Roach, Bleak, Perch, Bream,

Species Caught 2010: Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd, Bleak, Bream, Gudgeon, Ruffe, Ide, Tench, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Barbel, Chub, F1, Crusian Carp, Goldfish

Thanks larsagi, i'll let you know if it seems to make a difference :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I see to remember sliced white bread being a bit more "sticky" than brown or unsliced. The stickiness made it a lot easier to pinch a bit of breadflake on the hook.

Not sure if it'll make any difference f using rolls.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I see to remember sliced white bread being a bit more "sticky" than brown or unsliced. The stickiness made it a lot easier to pinch a bit of breadflake on the hook.Not sure if it'll make any difference f using rolls.

Yes thats the only reason I prefer white as well Ken.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Try slicing your Roll first (take your time, its an acquired art) and then steaming the slices, then use either punched (still quite delicate so be gentle on the cast) or as flake. Steaming the slices over a boiling kettle for a few seconds will help it get that little bit more tackiness needed to keep it together.

Immediately after steaming, wrap in bast@rd Cling film to keep the moisture in. Hope that helps.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Some say white has the added attraction of being more visible (I would tend to agree) However some also say that brown bread looks a little more natural in a water and doesn't tend to stick out as an anglers bait.

I also read once that Carp can actually to a degree detect the nutritional value of porous foods before deciding to eat them (Boilies are a good example as the fish can allegedly detect the high protein in them and this is partially the reason they are such a successful bait) If this is the case the Carp in theory should hands down prefer brown bread as White has little to no nutritional value, brown bread however has a lot more protein and other goodies inside it.

Saying that I have had carp take imitation bread which smells strongly of rubber..... Maybe its curiosity? Maybe there was another Carp nearby, it looked like a food the Carp is familiar with, and therefore he wanted to eat it before others got the chance? (Competition factor?) little tricky to say to be honest but....If a Carp comes across your Brown roll in the water and he is in a feeding mood he will certainly take it regardless of colour in my opinion.

I wouldn't count on that. A lot of "brown" bread is just white bread with caramel colouring. Wholemeal bread does contain a little more protein than white, about 16% as against 13% and it also contains more fat. many white breads are enhanced with added vitamins and minerals and may actually be more nutritious than some wholemeal or brown breads.

Things are not always what they seem ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

from what i can see theres little difference in sliced bread ,white is now slightly brown and brown almost white.

it seems not do fish seemed to know what colour bread is they have a preference for the baker as well.

40 years ago i had a comp with a fishing mate (still had one then :D )and we fished a pond in folkestone (radnor park pond) the bottoms pretty samey so i used wonderloaf and him mothers pride ,my catch rate using identical rigs was better ,we changed positions (we were fishing only a foot or so apart anyway at the float) still the same ,we changed rods still the same ,we changed bread and the results reversed.whatever we did the fish prefered the wonder loaf to mothers pride.

we both smoked so i cant with hindsight see other than the bread itself the reason

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I see to remember sliced white bread being a bit more "sticky" than brown or unsliced. The stickiness made it a lot easier to pinch a bit of breadflake on the hook.

Not sure if it'll make any difference f using rolls.

Yes, I don't think brown is a patch on white, mainly for this reason.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music