drop shotting dilema

JV44

Oky dokey then spent weekend afloat on the Thames and moored up in a likely looking spot good depth with sharp dropoff by cabbage type weeds with a hole in the weed line where there was a deep bit closer to the bank ,this is the spot thinks i and after a consultation with rusty as to how to tie the rig properly i drop a small fishy lure into the gap/hole and just give it a lift back up to see what the action is like and how much strategic twitching is required when wham a Jack Pike nails it and the rod hoops over for 20 seconds before springing back flat...he hadn`t bitten me off amazingly so hook must have pulled or maybe he just let go but the flouro was well frayed so re rigging was required .

I catch said Jack shortly after on the fly after a few casts over the spot so back in goes the drop shot rig and after a long time of twitching and falling the rod top again it hoops over for a couple of secs before i am bitten off bugger not going to script so a live is deposited into said hole and about half an hour later its off and a spirited little jack of only a couple of pounds makes his presence felt with a very spirited acrobatic display just as a trip boat of l;agered up office wallahs goes by to much cheering and wooping .

Anyways again i try the drop shot and had a couple of small Perch and then bang another bite off ,Put me off a bit but gonna persevere just wondering if i would be better fishing to structure like bridge supports or piling as you would with a jig ?? I have caught plenty of perch jig fishing with wire so the obvious question is if i use wire will it put them off [Perch,Chub ] as it`s obviously not invisible like flouro ??

And is there any way of rigging up with a piece of wire??

Impressed with the rod and it`s amazing how you can make the lures move around with just small movements .

Had the Carbel rod scream off at around midnight but it weeded me and nothing on the end when i got it free ,Loads and loads of weed growth in the Thames this year anyone else noticed this?? Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me off a bit but gonna persevere, just wondering if i would be better fishing to structure like bridge supports or piling as you would with a jig ?? I have caught plenty of perch jig fishing with wire so the obvious question is if i use wire will it put them off [Perch,Chub ] as it`s obviously not invisible like flouro ??

And is there any way of rigging up with a piece of wire??

No idea but is sounds like great fun!

Had the Barbel rod scream off at around midnight but it weeded me and nothing on the end when i got it free ,Loads and loads of weed growth in the Thames this year anyone else noticed this?? Steve.

More weed than usual in the Kennet this year - even in the normally weed-free spots. Not been to the Thames so can't comment.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I have caught plenty of perch jig fishing with wire so the obvious question is if i use wire will it put them off [Perch,Chub ] as it`s obviously not invisible like flouro ??

I don't know Steve. Wire doesn't put off perch when jigging (or spinning) and yet I've not found any mention of its use for drop shotting. Apart from the invisibility it might be that fluoro allows the lure to move properly when being working, the lure is suspended above a lead with fluoro above and below it, even supple wire might be too stiff for that. When spinning/jigging the lure is at the end of the line so I don't think a supple leader or trace is quite as important.

Do you think the rod would deal with a decent sized pike? Mine's on its way and I went for a Mitchell Avocet Gold 1000 size to go with it.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I don't know Steve. Wire doesn't put off perch when jigging (or spinning) and yet I've not found any mention of its use for drop shotting. Apart from the invisibility it might be that fluoro allows the lure to move properly when being working, the lure is suspended above a lead with fluoro above and below it, even supple wire might be too stiff for that. When spinning/jigging the lure is at the end of the line so I don't think a supple leader or trace is quite as important.

Do you think the rod would deal with a decent sized pike? Mine's on its way and I went for a Mitchell Avocet Gold 1000 size to go with it.

Yes i reckon it would trace material permiting ,need to scource a reel but a box of goodys from the freindly fisherman has just arrived so that should give me a fix for a while .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yes my DS outfit would land most things despite it being light.This whole wire thing is a nightmare isn't it! I'm definitely going to have a play with some of the ultra fine "embroidery" type wires. Also might move towards a more "paternoster" style set up rather than the hook being directly on the line as its a pain losing gear,be it the hook/lure or the weight if a pike grabs hold!

Trouble is will this put the perch off (my targeted species at the moment) or will it affect the action/working of the lure? its difficult as really I need to catch a lot more perch on the method so I understand it more/am better at it before I start experimenting........its just that the losing of pike and gear is proving a bit of a pain!

Or do I have to simply acept the problem and/or change venue?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I really think wire will affect the action of the lure too much, and be too visible. It wasn't really designed to be a pike method, so I don't think anything was designed with pike and/or wire in mind. You can use wire of course, and perhaps it makes little actual difference - what we need is someone who has access to some relatively easy perch fishing to try it and report back. Unfortunately, the Thames is proving very hard work for me and I can't catch anything (not even pike!) on the drop-shot gear, so I can't really help yet!

Upping the strength (and therefore diameter) of the flourocarbon would help, better still try to catch any aggressive pike out of the swim with another method before fishing for the perch?

If pike really are a problem and perch won't take a lure presented on wire (and they have plenty of time to inspect it before deciding), I would conclude that for that venue it isn't a suitable perch method, and try something else. I think if you're regularly leaving hooks in pike, you need to rethink...

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Wire would surely always be a requirement as the attention from pike would be equal to Perch, and as to wire putting off Perch, doubt it, they have a predator instinct like Pike and would hardly inspect the rig before snatching at it.

At some venues pike aren't an issue, and wire does definitely put off perch.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I find it strange that Pike are not an 'issue' in 'some' where Perch can be found. I cannot think of any such places where Pike would be excluded. Surely it may considered bad practice not to use a wire trace even if the chances of Pike being caught is minimal?

As far as wire putting off Perch then that may be the case but ensuring that by minimising the possibilities of leaving hooks/line in a Pike it's a small price to pay. Of course I would not advocate using traces if float fishing for Perch, but only lure fishing.

Again I seem to be 'championing' what seems to be good practise in Angling, the recent unhooking mat comments were by and large met with disdain by many on here and yet the mat and the use of wire traces in such situations seem to be both totally acceptable and used without thought by many anglers.

I am not in anyway wishing to spoil any ones fun but there is beyond AN an acceptance of certain aspects of Angling that is not shared with some on here, perhaps some of the more experienced will have the strength to agree.

I think I've highlighted the most relevant piece of your post Neil. The fact that many things are "accepted and used without thought", is indicative of the way many of todays anglers approach any situation.

Of course there is always a chance of a pike taking the bait, but surely it's up to the individual angler to make the judgement, with the swim and conditions as a guide.

I've caught more pike on maggot and worm than any other method, but as you say, you wouldn't advocate the use of a wire trace when fishing these baits. I know of swims where the main method of catching pike is a legered bunch of lobs, we use a wire trace in those swims. I also know of areas where there are very few pike, so I will fish lobs without a trace, and be pretty confident that it will be a perch or chub that takes the bait. I would make the same judgement if fishing the drop shot method.

It's a call I will make on the day, and I will not be swayed by what is regarded as acceptable, or not, by others.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I find it strange that Pike are not an 'issue' in 'some' where Perch can be found. I cannot think of any such places where Pike would be excluded. Surely it may considered bad practice not to use a wire trace even if the chances of Pike being caught is minimal?

But surely to a certain degree you have to accept that you are fishing for a certain species and tackle up accordingly. If you belive the chances are that Pike will not be an issue and you are targeting Perch then it makes sense not to use a wire. If Pike do become a problem then it would be bad practice to continue with out wire and then I would suggest you should use a trace.

I fish a pit for Tench and the number of Pike I hook and land during these Tench fishing sessions puts my winter Pike fishing to shame. The Pike are an issue on this water but does that mean I should fish maggots/worm/corn and boilies on a wire trace? If fishing for Roach and Dace and there are Carp in a venue should you step up to 10lb line in case you hook one and get snapped off? You have to use some common sense and judge each situation on it's potential merits and problems.

As for unhooking mats, I'm a big fan and they are great for kneeling on while fishing but should a river angler roving over miles be forced to drag a huge carp cradle around with them just in case?

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek