Bent hooks

Barry C

Yes, an altered hook, ie: not as sold. I can't see ayjays' pic as on work PC so I'm guessing as to the image representing a dramatic 'bend', angling the point towards the eye at about 45 degrees to the shanks intended course.

The three photos were all factory jobs. The end of the shank to the eye was bent to some extent toward the point but they looked like largish jig hooks to me before the jig material was added.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

OK, I too give up. I agree with Newt about ayjay's post. Further just take a look at the Mustad catalogue. They have about 800 hooks available commercially with some curvature in the spine not including the bend at the eye and the various styles of "j" or hookpoint (i.e. kahle point). (I looked only at wire hooks and I admit, some are sea hooks). Now just imagine how many forged (carp) hooks are offset in the "j"! (Better yet, I didn't but I bet that there are those who know how search "type of fish hook" or "style of fish hook". No doubt there will be at least a zillion.

I guess I too am looking for the same answer as was ask in post #1. Is any hook without a point in line with the spine a bent hook regardless of how it got there? Is it a "judgement" call? Does the angler need to get his hooks "approved" prior to going to his peg?

I know what you are talking about with a long shank fly hook - but really, those are "homemade" bent hooks. Is the venacular of a "bent hook" homemade - always?

I have to tell you, you guys are NOT making any sense!! That is - in terms of a definition of a "bent hook" for my glossary of British carp fishing terms. Maybe the definition is not know? That too would make sense in British carping.

Poldark (or anyone if you know), I won't post it a third time.

Exactly what is the device shown in the site I referrenced? ("bent hook rig") Do you suppose the rubber band is supposed to "bend" the light fly wire hook in the fashion you describe?

Phone

The three photos were all factory jobs. The end of the shank to the eye was bent to some extent toward the point but they looked like largish jig hooks to me before the jig material was added.

No jig material required Newt, these are used by carp anglers for bait fishing.

I know what you are talking about with a long shank fly hook - but really, those are "homemade" bent hooks. Is the venacular of a "bent hook" homemade - always?

Yes, pretty much, a hook is already known to be bent so a bent hook is an altered hook.

Exactly what is the device shown in the site I referrenced? ("bent hook rig") Do you suppose the rubber band is supposed to "bend" the light fly wire hook in the fashion you describe?

The device in your link is exactly what it says " a bent hook rig" designed to simulate the effects of a bent hook without the dangers to the fish, I believe the rubber band is merely used to mount the bait, a more conventional hair rig could be added instead. (I don't know why anyone would want to use a size 16 hook for a carp rig though)

Phone

Bent hook rig - the hook shank is straight from the eye until it reaches the start of the conventionally bent part, the perceived bend at the eye is created with shrink tubing.

bentsub.jpg

Well, I've definitely learnt something from this thread. I was always under the impression that 'bent hooks' referred to hooks that the Angler had bent him/herself and that unaltered hooks, whatever their form, were ok to use...

Is that right?

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Bent hooks for carpfishing. A long shank hook (usually a fly hook) is bent down at approx 30deg halfway along the shank. The hair comes off at the point of the bend. Very effective, particularly with pop ups.

You can get the same hooking effect by extending the shank with shrink tube, this does not seem to behave in the same way, and I use it a lot. The line aligner gives the same effect of a bent hook. I think the extra thickness of the shrink tube stops the hook moving through the lip.

Den

It seems to all be getting confused again,Read Dens reply again!

Also as Newt pointed out the hooks shown in the first pictures are NOT "Bent Hooks" they are jig hooks. It also doesn't matter if the hook is "converted" by the angler or comes already like it from a tackle shop if it conforms to Dens description it is a "Bent Hook". ALL "new" tackle is "homemade" first before "shop broughts" are available.

The "Bent Hook Rig" is simply a rig that imitates the Bent Hooks good properties without the bad ones.

Its all a bit pointless now as surely no one who live/fished through that era would still use one and new guys wouldn't know about it or tackle shops don't sell them and surely not even today's idiot angling journalists would write about it?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Bent hooks for carp fishing were popular in the 80's and early 90's. They were longshanked fly hooks that were bent with pliars to form an aggressive hooking arrangment, similar to the hooks posted above. They worked simply by causing the hook to flip over quickly when sucked in or as the fish bolts. Very similar to how a line aligner/magaligner works with shrink tubing......however...

The bent hooks caused alot of problems, the main one being mouth damage. Due to the nature of these hooks, they often slipped/pulled out under pressure, and re-hooked on the way out, causing horrible damage to the carps mouth. The line aligner/magaligner method, does not do this as the shrink tubing pulls straight when under pressure, thus effectively removing the "bent bit". Bent hooks themselve are now banned as far as i know, there are hook patterns avaliable on the market that will do a similar job but its up to the angler to decide if he or she should use them.

hope this helps

a jacko jackson caught two tone on a kammason fly hook. a buzzer and shrimp hooks are bent from eye to point and are an exelant hook,barbed or barbless