hook length line?

lozza

I am haveing problems finding a decent hook length line what do you guys use? Mainly for feeder fishing in clear water for course fish. looking for options in 2 4 6 lb range. cheers

What a long post!

For the past few seasons I've been using this stuff: http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/drennan_...rig_line_2.html

From 2lb when trotting for dace and smallish chub etc., up to 6lb when fishing for big chub in snaggy swims. I really like it, very thin and supple but tough, and cheap too.

The other weekend I tested the actual breaking strain of various lines and hooklengths, and this stuff did very well. The 6lb actually broke at 7lb (knot strength). Some fancy pants Gamakatsu G Line (this stuff: http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/gamakatsu_g-line.html) that I had high hopes for was crap - the 9.5lb broke at between 3-6lb. Worse than useless!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always use Silstar Match for my hooklengths in anything 6lb and less. It is very thin but also very strong. I have never had any problems at all with it. I use it on light feeder rigs, when trotting and also for pole rigs.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

The other weekend I tested the actual breaking strain of various lines and hooklengths, and this stuff did very well. The 6lb actually broke at 7lb (knot strength). Some fancy pants Gamakatsu G Line (this stuff: http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/gamakatsu_g-line.html) that I had high hopes for was crap - the 9.5lb broke at between 3-6lb. Worse than useless!

I lost a load of trout with a similar hi-tec line, before I binned it. Maybe quite fussy about knots, I suppose? Or maybe just crap.

I mostly use Drennan Double Strength as my default hooklength material, although I have some fancy fly fishing tippet materials too.

I lost a load of trout with a similar hi-tec line, before I binned it. Maybe quite fussy about knots, I suppose? Or maybe just crap.

I mostly use Drennan Double Strength as my default hooklength material, although I have some fancy fly fishing tippet materials too.

Great photo!

I think it was just crap, I tried lots of different knots, all tied carefully, but it was really unpredictable, and I never got close to the claimed 9.5lb breaking strain. A quick look around the web and it turns out I'm not alone.

Double strength is good too, I use that a lot. With carefully tied knots it's very dependable.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I always use Silstar Match for my hooklengths in anything 6lb and less. It is very thin but also very strong. I have never had any problems at all with it. I use it on light feeder rigs, when trotting and also for pole rigs.

Yeah, I think that's my favourite one as well.

G line is the stuff iam useing at the moment, its very hit and miss, getting fed up with loseing fish. cheers

Well, that's a coincidence! It's the worst stuff I think I've ever used, so I expect whatever else you try you'll prefer!

I can recommend Browning Cenex in the 4lb. Use it for all my leger/feeder fishing. Needs plenty of spit when tightening a knot to avoid kinking, otherwise excellently supple and thin.

I also use Drennan Double strength when bigger stuff may be about, a bit more durable than any other hooklength I've used, just not the thinnest.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue