New Barbel Record 20lb 6 oz

RollingPinBoy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting if you are interested in records, i have to say i am a bit more interested in the barbel record than the carp one, but i like it when an unknown fish comes out of a unfashionable day ticket water and rocks all our preconceptions as has happened with the perch and current chub records; rather than a known syndicate water like the carp record and now the barbel record.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Great stuff! Someone has achieved what they want to achieve, and that has to be good.

It all depends on the value that you personally put on temporary records. If this one goes the way of the carp industry then it will soon cease to have any real value.

But it is the first barbel twenty! Can't take that away from anyone. Fantastic! Bit like the four minute mile! No one knows the present record holder, but a lot of people remember the first, Roger Bannister. Same goes for carp, we all know Walker & the first forty, heaven knows who holds the present record.

Bit young to remember walker & clarisa. When I started dreaming of big fish, Chris Yates held the record, just over 51lbs I think, and as far as I'm concerned - still does!

[ 05. October 2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

I think my feelings are summed up in the posts by JonHedges and Peter Waller.

Completely at odds with Rudd's comments though.

Rudd, you make it sound like the banks of the Ouse are lined with anglers shoulder to shoulder 24 / 7 and the fish in desperation has thrown itself on the bait. My knowledge of this river ( Not based on experience I must add ) is that this is an unique environment in that certain fish reach huge proportions - but it is a very tough stretch of water, that requires huge dedication.

Congrats to Tony - and I look forward to hearing about the details of the capture.

darrell.cook:

Rudd - I'm also inclined to think your comments are tainted by the "Green eyed Monster" - not regarding the capture, but more to do with the syndicates and big names that fish these parts of the Ouse ??

Maybe you are right.

We would all like a crack at a venue like the Ouse if we could.

But what is the point of having a record list if only the few chosen ones have a chance of catching the record?

How many of us know the "right people" to get in the syndicate, or have the money and have the time to put in the hours to fish exclusive places like the Ouse or Conningbrook and a chance of the Carp or Barbel record?

At least all of us have a chance at all the other records if we are lucky.

The best chance any of us has (if we want it) is the Perch record.

Ok Tony Gibson will go down in history even if he does not get the record as he has caught the first ever 20lb+ barbel.

Yes a great achivment in its self.

But I fear Barbel fishing has gone the same way as carp angling.

To much prestige has been placed on the species by the angling media.

This attracts the trophy hunting brigade and total tw@ts who are only interested in catching the big one.

Ask Pete waller how many kn0b head weekend anglers you see on the broads trying to catch big pike and treating the small ones with disrespect.

And how many carp anglers tell you they have ONLY caught a low double.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

It is an achievement, even if, like me, you are not interested in records,the barbel circuit, elite waters and the like.

Call me old fashioned, but I wish someone hadn't named this fish, "The Traveller", or any other name.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

What is being overlooked here is the fact that Tony has caught many different specimen fish / species from many different waters over the years. Like I said, if someone could post his list of fish, it would be hugely impressive. What I am trying to get at here, is that he angles for all fish from all types of waters - I hope that he gets the credit he deserves.

Rudd, I take on board (and agree with)many of your points - but the syndicate thing has been going on for years .... does Chris Yates fully deserved and magnificent 51lb carp seem a lesser catch as it was from Redmire (for many years the most famous syndicate of them all I'd suggest) ?

There are kn0b heads on most waters on most days (sadly).