Prawns

Colin Payne

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you fishing the Prawns i.e laying well on or up in the water.Also how are you baiting up with the Prawns.Wouldn't mind giving them a try but aint got a clue how to use em :confused:

I've been fishing a lake about 1 rod length out and about 5 ft deep. Loaded float with single shot on the bottom to get the bait down. I found even with this the prawn still took a while to get to the bottom and I had several bites on the drop including one tench that took the end of the rod whilst I was tightening up. I used size 12-14 hooks and hooked the prawn straight thru the middle as I didn't need to cast that far. Had a few that flew off but on the whole this seemed to work. Got some Waitrose frozen prawns for a sesh on Sunday and these held together very well and I lost another carp on them but then had a PB on sweetcorn. As to baiting I chucked some pellets in and chopped up some prawns ala worms except they didn't wriggle as I did it :D:D

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

Yes, well done Colin.

Three things about estate lake tench that are not exploited as often as they might be.

1/ they often come in very,very close indeed, especially where things like yellow flag are growing in the water (they feed off snails etc on the stems - look for the stems shaking as the fish nudge them), so can be taken under the rod-tip (as I try to sit well back from the margin, thats only a few inches out from the bank)

2/ They often take on the drop

3/ allied to that they often come up in the water to loose feed.

Carp and Crucians too, but thats another story.

[ 03. June 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Colin Payne:

quote:

Colin

What do you want to catch  

The tench at a local fishery are going for prawns in a big way so I was hoping to jump on the bandwagon!

Frozen prawns then methinks!

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

i have had some good catches on prawn. If you have a water which has sturgeon in give prawns a go. i had 8 on my first morning. best was 18lb 12oz. there were a few other caught on meat but i had 3 times as many takes.

I am also thinking of trying river shrimps which are sold in some tropical fish stockests. they feed some of the big fish with them. They are kept alive in brackish water and cost just a few pence. I recon the perch will go ape for them.