This weekends fishing

John Weddup

People go fishing for a multitude of reasons. Some for the challenge, others to feel at one with nature or possibly just to get away from the wife.

Consequently this wide variety of anglers will respond to a variety of styles or types of fishing and some, dare I say it, actually enjoy fishing carp commercials. OK so the fishing isn't challenging but maybe that's what they want and enjoy.

When these same fisherman are repeatedly referred to as "noddies" or not "proper" or "serious" fishermen then it tends to irritate them. When assumptions are made that they are all too thick to see through the advertising hype they are bombarded with whilst, of course, the more discerning "serious" angler uses exactly the same kit but because he has evaluated it ;) then this also tends to get his back up.

When serious Speci hunters fish for large bream, tench or barbel using exactly the same tackle as carp fishermen, used in the same way for the same reason (because it works) as the carp anglers, the specimen boys are congratulated on being "committed" to their sport or "top anglers. Carp anglers on the other hand are described as "noddy in a tent watching telly with camo slippers on whilst carp hook themselves three at a time on 'set lines'

The quotes by the way are all from recent posts on a variety of threads.

Yes, some people are getting up each others backs

Good post Dave.

The only thing I can say is that it does work both ways. I have fished waters for fish other than carp, and been subjected to derogatory remarks about being a 'noddie', and not fishing 'properly'. This often by those who have spent less time fishing than the line on my reel! They have all the gear, and use all the latest 'in phrases' (learned from the latest 'How To' DVD no doubt). You only have to talk to them for a minute to see that they are indeed 'sucked in' by all the advertising hype, and believe every word the 'celebs' say. Did it "get my back up"? A little, but I'm happy and confident in the way I fish. So unless they cast into my swim, (which has happened too often), or interfere with my fishing in any way, I ignore them. I believe that the only time anyone would react aggressively to opinions about their angling, is if they believe that there is some truth in the remarks, and they are not confident enough in what they are doing.

John.

PS.

I'll add a little story about the time I did take action against the jibes.

I used to fish a well known water that was split into 3 sections, the middle of which was known as the 'Noddy' lake. I often fished this lake when I was just after a relaxing day, after the tench and roach. A guy who worked in the ticket/bait/ tackle shed, was a 'serious' big fish angler. A decent bloke, but the size of his targeted species was matched by the size of his mouth and ego. He used to have go at anyone wanting a ticket for the middle lake, and the words "Noddy" and "Garden Gnome" were often used. I got a bit fed up with his constant digs, so I came up with a plan. I went on a day when I knew it was his day off, and was told he was fishing The 'specimen' lake as usual. I bought a ticket for that lake and went in search of him. I spotted his Bivvy and watched as he went inside. I sneaked up behind a bush near to his bivvy, took out a hat I'd saved from Christmas, (one of those green ones with the large bell on top), and started jingling the bell. Each time he came out to look, I stopped, only to start again when he went back in. I kept this up for about 15-20 mins, until his mutterings became quite loud. I then walked up to his bivvy and asked how he was doing. "I think I'm going mad John, I keep hearing things" he said. I joked about him having too much to drink the night before, and asked what kind of noise was it. "A kind of jingling" he said. "Oh, that'll be me" I replied, " I came out with only my middle lake hat today", I put it on and gave him a demonstration. He questioned my parentage, and told me to do things I think are physically impossible. But it was taken in good humour eventually. And he got 'ribbed' about it for long after. He did tone down his comments to those who fished the middle lake though.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gozzer,

I've been meaning to talk to you about "the way you fish"?

Phone

Send him some DVD's he might find them useful, something from Matt Hayes or Alex Bones should point him in the right direction :D

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Send him some DVD's he might find them useful, something from Matt Hayes or Alex Bones should point him in the right direction :D

Do you mean for phone to send some to me, or me to him? :unsure:

I've been watching the reruns of Matt Hayes on Quest, I have to say, I'm not a big fan.

"The way I fish", sounds very singular phone, 'ways' would be more accurate :D

It's purely dependant on when, where and for what. I can be content fishing a 12oz hook length, 22hook, and small bait for small roach, dace, gudgeon etc, or fishing much stronger tackle with a size 4 and a big bait for barbel, chub, tench, (and even carp at times :o )

My preferences are for moving water with a float, and I sometimes enjoy it so much that I use it knowing that other methods will catch better.

On stillwaters I still prefer to float fish if possible, but will leger if needed. I don't use 'bolt rigs', 'hair rigs' or boilies from personal choice. I don't get much chance to go very often now, so I try and make the most of any session. I might try for one species early morning, change to another later, and then another late evening, (if I have the luxury of a full days fishing). If I fancy a day after roach, but on arrival I see it seems perfect for perch, or any other species, then I am happy to change tactics to suit. I suppose that I am 'traditional' in most of my methods, but do use carbon rods, as well as occasionally fibre glass.

Does that answer any questions Phone?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Do you mean for phone to send some to me, or me to him? :unsure:

Now I think about it, I'm not sure myself :unsure: I think I mean't for phone to send them to you in a kind of not very funny joke way. But the more I think about it if phone saw one of those dodgy free DVD's it would sum up what many don't like about commercial Carp fisheries as it's all there all the little bits that annoy people all presented on about an hour and a half of some of the worst most drawn out boring advert you will ever see.

The more I think about it the fact that these free DVD adverts even exist is enough reason to detest commercial Carp fishing :angry:

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I may have indulged in off topic replies to the bream spod topic eventually after the trouble started.

I now feel sorry for that and espescially for feederfisher who started the topic.

I did try to get it back on topic a couple of times being interested in the initial post And spodding for bream myself.

But you guys now continuing with the crap on my fishing reports has seriously annoyed me.

I post these to be helpfull to other anglers and anyone who might enjoy the sport.

If you want to hold discussions completely irrelevant to my topic then start one of your own in other words for the very eduacated amongst you of which I am not f**k off from my posts.

John

ps the only edit was because the word I posted was not allowed so I posted it with 2 letters so there would be no doubt

Sorry John, but when you post on a public forum you don't get to choose what answers you get. They are not "your' posts but have a life of their own.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Then maybe, like a few others , I shall never post again and we will see how long said forums last.

I am member number 18 and never felt this angry before.

Lets see how many others feel this way and if my response is unwelcome then I know it will not affect my fishing one little bit.

John

Incidentally I post with my real name not a dig at yourself or any others but everything I do or say i will stand up for and be counted.

I would be interested to know what has made you so angry

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/