are maggots getting cheaper or not

fishtec1312

Ee lad, thas gettin the'sel in a reet muddle. I'm a Tyke, and terrier were t'mutt of choice on this side of t'ill. I'm told that whippets were t'other side.

Sadly now you're more likely to meet a Staffie cross, than any other dog. They're the canine equivalent of carp, bloody everywhere! :D

Sorry for the mix up with the dogs, we only get Staffies down sarf, so every thing else must be a Whippet innit.

But at least our Staffies are propa ones, 100% estate bred.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Keen British anglers have a spare refrigerator and/or freezer in the garage just for bait. At 4 degrees C maggots don't progress into chrysalids, though they do shrink with time and after ten days they are very tough and shrivelled.

I keep maggots in the fridge and they arn't tough and shrivelled after 10 days, maybe after several weeks but they're still very useable.

I keep my maggots on 3 degrees C and they last for a month or so in the summer months, much longer during the winter and they're fine to use.

.... I've just had that horrible sinking feeling when reading this thread that I still have 1/2 pint of maggots sitting in a box in my tackle bag in my boot.... now, the last time I went to that tackle bag was some 3 weeks ago!.... I'm not looking forward to (a) opening the boot, (B) opening the tackle bag, © opening the maggot box! :wallbash: what a muppet!! :(

Cheers,

Stu...

.... I've just had that horrible sinking feeling when reading this thread that I still have 1/2 pint of maggots sitting in a box in my tackle bag in my boot.... now, the last time I went to that tackle bag was some 3 weeks ago!.... I'm not looking forward to (a) opening the boot, (B) opening the tackle bag, © opening the maggot box! :wallbash: what a muppet!! :(

Cheers,

Stu...

The bracketed "B" and "C" turned out somewhat different than expected! ha ha.....

The bracketed "B" and "C" turned out somewhat different than expected! ha ha.....

Well he did admit to being a muppet (Sorry Stu ;) )

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

ive been using this shop,were i get on with the bit s and bobs,a small few items were bought,new spool ,line and a few words asking were the chub and dace remain in largenumbers.so i saked him what will take for 10pts,£33.20p,you will pay what his on the items and any multiples,his it just me but we allways do a deal over a gallon,later i found out,but he allways been like this ,he would give you a deal......the small tackle shops are sruggling ,but you can buy maggots on ebay.one thing wiih maggots the have ]allways kept the same.small tackle shops are not to sell majorpeices of tackle like rods reels.but i go with a rod and feel it on the blank,this you cant do on a email brocher,and young and up and coming anglers need to hang around listening,alan sherwood was tha man,growing up on the though shcool of the northern canel club waters.my question is were are these future world champion,its all carp or barbel.i took my son out on the stick,he told me after i had played with sotting patern throughout the day,no i think its not about carp fishing,a quolity to be able to reed the water even lakes,this is why i buy books,and dvd only on toni miles,if i died and only had quarter of his knoledge

Here in Hull, there are a couple of tackle shops selling maggots for £1/pint, and they're not crappy old knackered ones either.

I know what you mean about ebay seeming like being the place to buy tackle, but without our local tackle shops we'd be up the creek without a paddle (or bait, come to that). I'd rather spend a few quid more on a rod from the local shop knowing that I'm helping to keep it in business rather than buy online, plus you can stand (or sit if the owner is amiable enough) and talk fishing for an hour or three.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Cheers,

Stu...

hah me too, in the shed from weekend, they will be buzzin now im sure!

gone