Carp on top

The Flying Tench

What's the best way to get bite indication when fishing at a distance with floaters? I've met several approaches.

Some people have a running line through the controller, and just watch the line (or use the controller as a bolt rig). I'm sure this can work, but My impression is that many carp eject floaters with a hook quite quickly, and you'd miss a lot of bites.

You could use a really big bait, like a big marshmallow, which would be visible much further than a dog-biscuit. But are these TOO big?

I've read about an approach where you use a free-running ledger, and have the bait coming up vertically. I assume you use a quiver-tip for bite indication. But would you hit the bites in a deep lake?

In this month's iycf on p16 it suggests 'wait for the controller to tip over'. It mentions 'the original Drennan controller' or, for bigger distances, 'the ESP controller'. Has anyone seen these? How do they work?

I'd welcome any advice.

john clarke

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I fish in this way, and thats not often, I use a bubble float with about an 12 to 18 inch hook length, the bubble can be filled with water for extra casting weight. As soon as the bubble starts to track across the surface your in.

I always use braid for floater fishing.Watch the bait not the controller is the usual way but I have found with the non stretch of braid you neednt worry about taking your eyes of it for a minute as the rod gets ripped out of your hand!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

At my local lake a lot of people use a lead with the bread above it and keep the line tight and have bite alarms as indicators , ive never used it myself but could be worth trying.

quote:

In this month's iycf on p16 it suggests 'wait for the controller to tip over'. It mentions 'the original Drennan controller'

This type of controller ( I use Fox) resembles an enormous loaded waggler, weight at bottom, buoyancy in middle, and an eye above the sight-bob up top. In theory the top will move with a bite.

This next part may not be recommended, and folk may laugh, but ( increasingly as I get older) the sight is not what it was! Therefore, a pair of binocs, however cheap can be useful. A mate of mine watching as I fed a lake could not believe how much he could see! Which brings me on to my next point, some anglers believe that anyone thus equipped must be spying on them! You have been warned

Thanks for the help, but I've still got a couple of queries.

tim d and Rogerb - does a zig rig work in a deep lake, or does the amount of line you have to pick up mean you miss a lot of bites?

Excalibur, I guess my sight's a bit like yours. I'm sure you are right about taking the binoculars, but do you really stand for hours with binocs in one hand and rod in the other? Or are they bettter for getting a general idea where the carp are? Also, you say 'in theory' the controller should tip over - are you saying that if the carp are a bit tricky they let go before that?

I guess there's no perfect answer, but you're moving me in the right direction. Thanks.

john clarke

You could try a "legered controller" in deep water, works well for me, also useful in a wind as it keeps the bait in one place.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

John,

How deep??

There are many variations of the Zig Rig. Many use a semi fixed ledger, I prefer a running ledger setup. As far as depth limitations all I can say is that IMHO it can get very scientific. That is with the semi fixed rig you may end up with a very long and difficult to cast hook length, you end up casting out of buckets etc. With the running setup the obvious thought is that there is no limitation but in fact the bait has to be able to drag much more line up to the top as it will include line that is the rod side of the ledger. Thus contrary to first impressions it may not be as good in deep water as the semi fix rig.

I have to admit though that all this is conjecture on my part and there are many on here that can advise positively on this. I have only used the running rig in depths of 6 to 8 feet max and it has been ok, with the exception that I suspect the bait length tangles with the main line occasionally on casting and the bait (bread normally for me) never appears at the surface. I still catch when that happens though!!

With regard to missed bites I use a quiver tip and keep in contact with the bait, often pulling it under the surface a few inches, so as far as bite detection is concerned I don’t have a problem.

I do have a problem with pull outs though and this definitely increases when I Zig. If you think about it there is a huge amount of enforced slack in the line and any strike is effectively again the weight of the ledger rather than direct contact with the fish. I can only think that this results in poorer first strike contact and poorer hook position in the mouth. I have reduced this problem by increasing the ledger weight to 1.5oz (I only fish light!!) and using the largest hook that the fishery allows - but size 8 max.

In general I know that we should keep fishing as simple as possible but I have been using the Zig for about 2 years now and I reckon that for it to be really productive it requires a great deal of thought and application, but it is definitely worth it.

I like Den’s idea as well.

Den – if you see this just how deep would you need the water to be to use this. Or could it be used in any depth.

Hope this helps.

Roger.