flowers of sulfur

Phone

All,

I see corn is often the bait of choice in the UK for many Cyprinidae sessions (here too). Is anyone using a pinch of flowers of sulfur (am I spelling that word, "sulfur" correctly for an AN audience(?)) to accelerate(sp) the release of the two sulfur based amino acids abundant in corn? They, the amino acids, begin - one with a "c" and one with an "m" but I forget the two names. Anyway sulfur works. A little is to much, use a very little.

Also, related, are amino acids as "hot" a topic as they were in the mid-seventies? Don't see them mentioned much?

Phone

Re Sulphur, not heard of that before, but the theory sounds good. Amino acids only nutitionalists talk about them as if they are the new wonder diet element. But with regards fishing, no never mentioned. Over here you are more likely to hear / read about the oil release of bait more than anything else. How much has Irene screwed up the fishing or is it to early to know yet?

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

Amino Acids were hailed as the future of carp baits back in the late 70's.Rod Hutchinson devoted a lot of room in the bait section of his first book (Rod Hutchinson's Carp Book).This was the first of the modern "tell all" carp books and a very good one at that.

Great in theory but in practice it seems the big problem with Amino Acids in baits is getting the balance right.Different water conditions (mainly Ph levels) require different levels of Amino Acids for them to work at their best.The amounts being crucial as to much can be a repellent. Trouble is that its so crucial even the slightest variation of Ph from area to area of the water can affect.

You see nothing much (other than mention of them in bait adverts!) wrote about their use these days and in general most carpers (or at least ones who still make bait as very few do these days) have long given up on them and newer guys never heard of them! When asked about them these days Rod just smiles.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sell the sizzle.........

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Norfolk,

I'm about 1,200 miles from AnY ocean. The carp guys on the East Coast hunkered down for a while I suspect. Predator fishermen just got in the boat and put their face into the wind. Daffy lot.

Budgie,

I worked on a bizillion "well maybe" ideas. Factually, there are just to many variables to pin down (Ph being just one). Then there were the stupid fish. They wouldn't always cooperate when you "thought" conditions were identical. Without much fanfair we discovered that "releasing" agents that enhanced the natural action or reaction of proteins already present in bait was as successful or more successful than "adding" new ones. No possible marketing technique for "releasing agernts". The amount has to be almost microscopic. Save this one. Two amino acids are sulfur based. Both extreamly abundant in corn and corn is a good bait. Kind of natural.

KenL,

By all means that's the marketing aspect. There is a real science aspect. I'm afraid we never came close to a statistically significant result with just using amino acids. The biggest problem is fish can't read. Fish consistancy prevents us from having a "perfect" bait. Probably a good thing really.

Phone

what flowers of sulfur type stuff you can force sleeping ferrets out f burrows with (a bit lit at the windward end of the bury) ,i thought it wouldnt mix with water or its not the same thing or the 40 years since i last thought about it has dimmed my chemistry :D

saying that i used it last year on some over wintering geranium roots we forgot about till yesterday :oops:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Without much fanfair we discovered that "releasing" agents that enhanced the natural action or reaction of proteins already present in bait was as successful or more successful than "adding" new ones.Phone

Strangely enough Phone over here people started looking more at how enzymes broke down the food (I believe releasing sugars?) after sacking the amino acid line of experimentation.

But then people found out long ago that most seed,pulse type baits were better catchers once they started to ferment without any scientific knowledge at all!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i found a jar of corn once i had chited for fishing a few days after leaving it in my bag ,glad i had a strong stomach blimey it was gagging

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

BUDGIE,

My work was mostly between the early 70's and 1992. Yes, the starches would go first. I am no longer an "expert" on the current "science". (I now believe there never was such a thing as bait "science" but we spent a LOT of money learning that).

Yes, in theory, sulfur will artifically "act" like the fermentation process is/has taken place with corn proteins. It produces the opposite of "fresh".

Chesters1,

It takes a day or so for the natural sulfur to bind to the chemical sulfur. A pinch in a tin is "GOBS and gobs".

Remember when you put it about the tops of your socks to keep the biting bugs off?

Phone

When I were but a slip of a lad I learned never to complain of a sore throat when my dad was around as he would insist on me taking (under extreme duress) a teaspoon of Flowers of Sulphur. It did work but by 'eck it were impossible to swallow, dry doesn't come into it. As for geraniums, sulphur is what was the only effective fungicide available to gardeners before the modern ones were developed. It is also used when dividing Dahlias (by cutting them in half) to prevent rotting. Also being very acid it can be used to reduce alkalinity in soil if you want to grow ericaeous plants in soil with a pH over 6 or 7, however it only tends to be a temporary fix and not too effective at that.