Fake baits

Houseplant

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sipadan - welcome to you and yes, they work.

Try a search in both the coarse and the session carp sections for artificial corn to see some discussions we've had in the past.

[ 05. September 2003, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The rubber corn fished popped up over or critically balanced with a method feeder works a treat.

I have had some nice tench this year while using this method.

I have also had several carp on fake chum mixers.

All my artificial baits are by enterprise tackle.

It is just a matter of confidence, once you have had a few fish you know it works.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Sipadan,

Welcome on board.

As Newt say’s there have been a few threads on these, but in essence, they can be devastating.

To be honest, when all these artificial baits first started coming out, I was rather dubious. I thought they might be just the latest in a long line of ‘mug’ products, designed more for stripping us poor anglers of cash, rather than for putting a few extra fish on the bank. However, I tried a few of these products and can happily report that they soon started bringing results.

My best results have come from artificial tiger-nuts (for carp) and corn; you can also get artificial bread which is excellent for surface fishing as you can leave it out indefinitely - No more soggy lumps of bread every two minutes!

As Budgie says, fishing over a bed of the ‘real-stuff’ can help. However, for me the advantage of fishing these baits is that you can fish them on waters where they may be banned. I fish a water where tigers were banned some time ago, yet the carp must still remember how nice they were, as my tiger-smelling bait has given some excellent results.

Don’t rule out a ‘roaming’ rod, either. I often just cast a single artificial hook-bait around every couple of hours to likely spots, and have picked up countless good carp, along with some welcome bream and tench.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Thanks for the replies. Someone from the sea forum put me on to fake baits as I'm having some difficulty with gobies taking my bread baits aimed at mullet. It slowly dawned on me how useful these baits could be in my coarse fishing. Having said that, the 'mug' product thing had occured to me. I think it's important that you have confidence in your bait/method and you may have given me some of that.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I'm looking forward to using the bread in the winter for chubbing on the river.

I know you can't beat the real thing but it'll be nice to able to cast right next to snags knowing that if you retreive through something your 'bait' will still be on the hook meaning you can get your bait almost anywhere.

I've used the sweetcorn and had a few bream.

HB.

zappagod:

i have found fake baite cramed in them all swolen up.

Must be some rich mother and father unmarrieds fishing the waters you fish if they can afford to bait up with fake bait! Did'nt realise that plastic expanded that much when in contact with water.

[ 08. September 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Alive without breath,

As cold as death;

Never thirsty, ever drinking,

All in mail never clinking.

I`ll just get me rod!!!

Reydon Pits, near Southwold, have had some dead carp. Two were opened up, both, so I have been told, had plastic baits apparently stuck in their anal tracts. Carp can cope with gravel, but maybe not artificial baits. A worrying development that needs research, FAST!!